Scratch paper

Scratch paper

Postby remy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:01 am

Hello everyone. Have the rules changed with regard to being able to use the tutorial time to write down notes? Do the rules vary per state? My friend was reprimanded and then had her paper and pencils taken away last week in California. I can't imagine being able to focus very well after an incident like that! Plus, have no paper during the exam.
remy

Re: Scratch paper

Postby Coach » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:13 am

It's technically not allowed but enforcement varies by test center.
The paper should have been replaced. If it wasn't, I would file a complaint.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby pgehrke » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:13 am

Took mine in Tennessee Sunday and that's the first time they've mentioned to me "no writing on scratch paper until your exam begins." Not really a big deal, takes all of a minute after the exam starts to jot them down.
pgehrke

Postby rabbitlady » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:28 am

In NY they definitely specify that there is no writing until the timer is on for the test.
rabbitlady

Postby remy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:34 pm

My experience in NY has been different. I've never been told I couldn't write notes with the exception of one test (maybe last March) after the 15 minute break/vignette stage. It didn't matter to me at that point but at the end of the exam, I asked the attendant to confirm this was actually a rule. They searched the computer and corrected themselves, saying it was in fact permitted. I tested last week and there was no mention either.
remy

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:45 am

remy wrote:My experience in NY has been different. I've never been told I couldn't write notes with the exception of one test (maybe last March) after the 15 minute break/vignette stage. It didn't matter to me at that point but at the end of the exam, I asked the attendant to confirm this was actually a rule. They searched the computer and corrected themselves, saying it was in fact permitted. I tested last week and there was no mention either.

A similar thing happened to me. I test in NY and was reprimanded during 1 exam during the break between MC and Vignette. I just acknowledged the woman's comments and tried to not look at or write on the paper while I sat there staring into space at my computer. It's nice to have a bathroom/water break and catch up on the news on the tv in the lobby, but really it takes my head out of the game and gets me thinking about things that aren't necessary. Fortunately, I wrote down all of my notes, including those for the vignette, during the tutorial portion before the MC. Otherwise, I may have been flustered and thrown off by her comment. I've taken 6 exams, 4 at one center and 2 at another, and this was the only time I was reprimanded.

Does anyone know where we can find the rules for our state? I haven't seen anything on the NYS licensing board website about this.
corbismyhomeboy

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION