Done - Debriefing - Thank you

Done - Debriefing - Thank you

Postby gha0323 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:09 am

Passed my last exam, BS, a week or so ago. I wasn't the most prolific poster here, but got many good pointers from the forums. I appreciate the feedback on the vignettes I posted. Coach, thank you for your decisive input on so many questions.

My studying and strategies were not novel, but here was my 'path' for what it's worth. I took about 14 months start to finish. Good luck to everyone, keep at it.

CDS - Pass / NALSA: flash cards and Dorf manual. Ballast. Read the contracts. Read the contracts with commentaries.

PPP - Pass / NALSA: flash cards and Dorf manual. Ballast.

SD - Fail (I blame arrival of second child:))

SPD - Pass / NALSA: flash cards and Dorf manual. Ballast. I think it was this test where I read the US government SWPPP brochure. I actually thought it was pretty helpful.

SS - Pass / Online Thaddeus Seminar. It's not cheap, but I found it to be worthwhile. I could literally have replaced three college structures classes with this seminar. He's a good teacher. He directs you to some pretty long government wind and seismic resources, which I also read.

BDCS - Pass / NALSA: flash cards and Dorf manual. Ballast. Fundamentals of Building Construction (Allen, Iano). Studying for this test made clear how valuable this last book is.

SD - Pass / redemption. I hate this test, hated studying for this test.

BS - Pass / NALSA: flash cards (a little bit). Michael Ermann's "The Amber Book" Online video seminar. Again, like Thaddeus, it's not cheap. As my last exam, I was definitely in the "I want to be done no matter what / take no chances / pay for the seminar mode". I found this seminar to be totally worth it, though. I glanced at the NALSA flash cards, but really only did these videos, probably went through most of them twice. In the past, these topics were never naturally interesting to me. These videos are engaging, concise and clear; and I actually enjoyed watching them very much. I have a much clearer conceptual grasp on many electrical, lighting and mechanical principals now.

Thanks, again.
gha0323

Re: Done - Debriefing - Thank you

Postby thd7t » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:28 am

Wow, this is the most concise version of this post that I've seen with actual useful information. Thanks!
thd7t

Postby vrcat25 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:54 pm

gha0323 wrote:Passed my last exam, BS, a week or so ago. I wasn't the most prolific poster here, but got many good pointers from the forums. I appreciate the feedback on the vignettes I posted. .

You sure weren't the most prolific. You might be the least though, lol!

Are you sure you don't work for NALSA? :lol:
vrcat25

Postby sb84 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:07 pm

Congrats on finishing!
sb84

Postby Melon Panda » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:15 am

It was the order you have taken and passed the exams?
SD was only the exam you had to retake?

-MP
Melon Panda

Postby gha0323 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:26 pm

vrcat25: Ha, yeah very few posts now that I look - lots of lurking and reading, though...

Melon Panda: Yes, that was the order. SD was my only retake.
gha0323

Postby vrcat25 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:18 am

BTW, Congrats!

Thanks for the advise on SS. I plan on taking SS next and have only passed CDS and SPD thus far. You say the Thaddeus Seminar's "aren't cheap". How much are we talking? I found a bunch of youtube "module" videos by Dilip Khatri and they are free. Have you or anyone else heard of these videos and are they worthwhile or just a waste of time? I don't mind spending money on the Thaddeus seminars if they aren't too expensive and if you think they are really worth it.
vrcat25

Postby rwwon » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:36 am

gha0323 wrote:Ha, yeah very few posts now that I look - lots of lurking and reading, though...

Few posts = more time to study. A wise choice my friend :) It's very easy to waste time on here
rwwon

Postby vrcat25 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:18 pm

rwwon wrote:
gha0323 wrote:Ha, yeah very few posts now that I look - lots of lurking and reading, though...

Few posts = more time to study. A wise choice my friend :) It's very easy to waste time on here

I don't think failure/success of these tests has anything to do with the amount of posts. There's actual studies that explain that you learn more from teaching and instructing other people than you do by listening though. Everybody deserves a good pat on the back though, even if you are patting your own self. :lol:
vrcat25

Postby rwwon » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:57 pm

vrcat25 wrote: I don't think failure/success of these tests has anything to do with the amount of posts. There's actual studies that explain that you learn more from teaching and instructing other people than you do by listening though. Everybody deserves a good pat on the back though, even if you are patting your own self. :lol:

I 100% agree with you on teaching and instructing other people helps to retain information! And yes, your failure/success doesn't depend on the amount of posts. I'm just saying a person shouldn't try and be like "Coach" until they finish the exams - that's just practical advice. I know its noble to help other people and fun to discuss random topics ( I know I've done my fair share of it, and I've wasted a lot of time doing it! haha) But the practical advice is a person's first goal on this site should be to help themselves to pass the exams quickly.
rwwon

Postby vrcat25 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:01 pm

rwwon wrote:
I 100% agree with you on teaching and instructing other people helps to retain information! And yes, your failure/success doesn't depend on the amount of posts. I'm just saying a person shouldn't try and be like "Coach" until they finish the exams - that's just practical advice. I know its noble to help other people and fun to discuss random topics ( I know I've done my fair share of it, and I've wasted a lot of time doing it! haha) But the practical advice is a person's first goal on this site should be to help themselves to pass the exams quickly.

I agree with most of what you're saying although it would be a rather dry and monotonous place if only coach responded. So, do you think that i should wait until I finish all of the exams to respond? What about the 2 I've passed? Should I not respond there either and wait until I pass the other 5? I've posted on many threads and i'd like to think that i've helped numerous people WHILE i was preparing for the test and before I passed. In fact, i probably shouldn't give advise after on the vignette for CDS nor for SPD. I'm probably rusty since it's been 6 months. In my experience, it helps to form study groups and in essence that is what these forums are. With all due respect to Coach, I don't think he's some kind of all mighty pillar of knowledge that knows it all, nor do I think that about ANYBODY else whether they passed all 7 exams or not. I appreciate any response to a post and I'd hope most of the others on here are just as respectful.

Thanks for trying to help, but if i weren't wasting my time here, I'd probably be on social media or watching tv. Trust me, this is way more constructive. It's amazing how much extra time you have when you eliminate those to things from your daily routine.
vrcat25

Postby rwwon » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:39 pm

vrcat25 wrote:Thanks for trying to help, but if i weren't wasting my time here, I'd probably be on social media or watching tv.

I think this site HAS become social media/ watching tv for you. They could freeze this site, and anyone would have more than enough information to answer any question and pass the tests. The fact that you have over 600 posts and you've passed 2 exams tells me this place has become more of a hobby for you. Now there is nothing wrong with that, but you can't jump all over me when I suggest someone post less while they are taking the exams when you yourself admit to wasting time on here lol.
rwwon

Postby vrcat25 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:26 am

rwwon wrote:
I think this site HAS become social media/ watching tv for you. They could freeze this site, and anyone would have more than enough information to answer any question and pass the tests. The fact that you have over 600 posts and you've passed 2 exams tells me this place has become more of a hobby for you. Now there is nothing wrong with that, but you can't jump all over me when I suggest someone post less while they are taking the exams when you yourself admit to wasting time on here lol.

It appears my attempt at sarcasm flew right over your head. Also, you didn't answer any of my questions. As I mentioned earlier, I really don't think the number of my posts has anything to do with failing/passing tests. After I pass all 7 tests, what will be the appropriate amount of posts? Apparently, you like to judge others, but the truth is we BOTH have "wasted" our time on this thread. Most of my posts are geared towards answering questions on vignettes and MC. I've been testing for about a year now and many people take 5 years or longer to pass all 7. I'm not in the least bit concerned nor do I feel an urgency to pass then all right away. Thanks for your concern though.

The irony in all this is that you never did answer my question. This is social media for you and not me. It seems like you just want to insult and kiss coaches butt.

By the way gha0323, sorry for hijacking your thread and congrats again! I didn't want to post so many comments but felt obligates after rwwon blatantly insulted everybody here who posts more than him or who haven't passed as many tests as him.
vrcat25

Postby rwwon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:08 am

Lol - come on Vrcat, you should be used to this, this is how most of your threads go - You post something that most people disagree with, or you attack everyone - You've had whole threads locked down / deleted. We could search the forums and probably have a nice lengthy list of times you do this.

Let's back this up to the beginning. I told the OP that by posting less, they invariably had more time to study. An example of this is the time you took to reply to me - you could have been studying during that time :). You were actually an excellent example to help prove my point, so thank you! Does this mean you will succeed or fail at the exams? Of course not! It simply means that you traded posting time for studying time, and over time that adds up. I don't understand what is so complicated about that principle - you are just personally offended by it because of how much you post while still in the process of studying for the exams.

You're are right that we've both wasted time, I usually know that going into a thread with you, but the difference is you have an exam to study for and I don't, so jokes on you.
rwwon

Postby vrcat25 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:09 am

Actually, I'm waiting until after the holidays. If you read my initial comment there was a question which has to do with has to do with gha0323's post. It's unfortunate that you made it all about you though. Thanks for all your help and advise on time management. You must be quite the expert....lol. can we agree to disagree or send me a private message. I'm not going to mudsling anymore with you. I'm embarrassed that I even responded to such childish remarks... even though I'm not going to waste time searching past posts, I remember you as always being a follower rwwon. Many of the threads I deleted myslef and ill n probably delete my comments here. Private message me or move on rwwon.
vrcat25

Postby rwwon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:54 am

vrcat25 wrote:Many of the threads I deleted myslef and ill n probably delete my comments here.

I can only imagine how many posts you'd have by now if you didn't delete any... :lol:

vrcat25 wrote:even though I'm not going to waste time searching past posts.

This is really your main problem lol. If you searched forums you wouldn't need to post so much - someone has already answered the question and done the research.

You and I joined the forums around the same time over a year ago, and we are now in completely two different places from each other, so don't criticize my comments on time management.

Oh, oh, let me make my exit post too! In the spirit of your words...

"Its unfortunate you live in your own reality and don't read posts. If you would have actually read what I put you would understand my position and know that I am always right (even though I somehow seem to get in these types of arguments all the time). I am not going to engage in this anymore, debasing myself by talking to you since I am the only correct one here. I'm going to take the higher road now (after insulting you a few times of course) . Vrcat, you can privately message me if you want to further discuss this (though that won't add to my post count, unfortunately). Good day to you!"

That was fun! Hope that sarcasm doesn't go over your head.Until next time :)
rwwon

Postby vrcat25 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:46 am

gha0323 wrote:
Passed my last exam, BS, a week or so ago. I wasn't the most prolific poster here, but got many good pointers from the forums. I appreciate the feedback on the vignettes I posted. Coach, thank you for your decisive input on so many questions.

My studying and strategies were not novel, but here was my 'path' for what it's worth. I took about 14 months start to finish. Good luck to everyone, keep at it.

CDS - Pass / NALSA: flash cards and Dorf manual. Ballast. Read the contracts. Read the contracts with commentaries.

PPP - Pass / NALSA: flash cards and Dorf manual. Ballast.

SD - Fail (I blame arrival of second child:))

SPD - Pass / NALSA: flash cards and Dorf manual. Ballast. I think it was this test where I read the US government SWPPP brochure. I actually thought it was pretty helpful.

SS - Pass / Online Thaddeus Seminar. It's not cheap, but I found it to be worthwhile. I could literally have replaced three college structures classes with this seminar. He's a good teacher. He directs you to some pretty long government wind and seismic resources, which I also read.

BDCS - Pass / NALSA: flash cards and Dorf manual. Ballast. Fundamentals of Building Construction (Allen, Iano). Studying for this test made clear how valuable this last book is.

SD - Pass / redemption. I hate this test, hated studying for this test.

BS - Pass / NALSA: flash cards (a little bit). Michael Ermann's "The Amber Book" Online video seminar. Again, like Thaddeus, it's not cheap. As my last exam, I was definitely in the "I want to be done no matter what / take no chances / pay for the seminar mode". I found this seminar to be totally worth it, though. I glanced at the NALSA flash cards, but really only did these videos, probably went through most of them twice. In the past, these topics were never naturally interesting to me. These videos are engaging, concise and clear; and I actually enjoyed watching them very much. I have a much clearer conceptual grasp on many electrical, lighting and mechanical principals now.

Thanks, again.

From the what i've heard, the live seminar is even better and Thaddeus gives you handouts and reduces the cost of the online seminar to around $100 from $350. Is that the price you paid for it gha0323 ($350). I'm taking a break for the holidays, but may schedule a Thaddeus, live seminar, if it's roughly the same price. I'm not on any marathon to get these tests done obviously. Between work and raising children i've been pretty busy and only have 2 tests complete. I'll be perfectly fine with passing all these tests within 2-3 years. Kudos to you for getting them done in a year. I've heard of people getting them done in 6 months!

I've heard mixed reviews about the online youtube modules. Any other opinions on the modules vs. Thaddeus seminars?
vrcat25

Postby gha0323 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:19 am

From the what i've heard, the live seminar is even better and Thaddeus gives you handouts and reduces the cost of the online seminar to around $100 from $350. Is that the price you paid for it gha0323 ($350). I'm taking a break for the holidays, but may schedule a Thaddeus, live seminar, if it's roughly the same price. I'm not on any marathon to get these tests done obviously. Between work and raising children i've been pretty busy and only have 2 tests complete. I'll be perfectly fine with passing all these tests within 2-3 years. Kudos to you for getting them done in a year. I've heard of people getting them done in 6 months!

I have friend who did the live seminar and spoke very highly of it. I did the online version only and passed on the first try, so I think either option is effective. The online only version is $325. For the Amber Book BS seminar, you can pair up with somebody and get the price down to $295.
gha0323

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION