d

d

Postby architect23 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:08 pm

Thanks!
Last edited by architect23 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
architect23

Re: Renew NCARB Record

Postby rwwon » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:44 pm

Pretty sure you need to while you are still testing.
rwwon

Postby architect23 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:13 pm

Called and confirmed. Thanks!
architect23

Postby plastix » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:43 am

But after?
plastix

Postby rwwon » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:59 pm

plastix wrote:But after?

Depends on your future and the type of flexibility you want to have. Plus, if you keep your account active, you can get a free NCARB cert with the first year half off the renewal fee.

For more discussion.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43874&hilit=ncarb+RENEW
rwwon

Postby rwwon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:52 am

rwwon wrote:

Depends on your future and the type of flexibility you want to have. Plus, if you keep your account active, you can get a free NCARB cert with the first year half off the renewal fee.

For more discussion.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43874&hilit=ncarb+RENEW

Haha, I just realized you were part of that discussion already. I know there are quite a few other threads on the forums that discuss the merits of maintaining your NCARB record - all of which involves a little career and life forecasting on your part.
rwwon

Postby vrcat25 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:39 pm

It doesn't look like there's much benefit after you're verified and sounds like a big waste.
vrcat25

Postby sbyrktct » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:58 am

vrcat25 wrote:

It doesn't look like there's much benefit after you're verified and sounds like a big waste.

If you are going to apply for reciprocal licenses in other states, you'll want to keep your NCARB Record active in order to facilitate that process.
If you let your record lapse and then need a reciprocal license, you'll pay a hefty fee to reactivate your record.

This is obviously a personal decision based on the work you do and/or the firm you work for... though I've found that many firms will pay this expense for you if you are providing to them the benefit of being registered in multiple states.

If you are not in a position to be needing registration outside of your state anytime in the future, there is no additional benefit.

Anecdotally... I let my record lapse while at my previous firm because, while I was registered in my home state, only the principals were sealing drawings.
At my current firm, I am sealing drawings and am registered in 9 states now. My current firm paid to have my record reactivated and pays the yearly fee.
sbyrktct

Postby vrcat25 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:15 am

sbyrktct wrote:This is obviously a personal decision based on the work you do and/or the firm you work for... though I've found that many firms will pay this expense for you if you are providing to them the benefit of being registered in multiple states.

If you are not in a position to be needing registration outside of your state anytime in the future, there is no additional benefit.

Exactly...Any reasonable firm will cover this expense for you since the commission will rely on said individual have that states license. As sbrktct noted, there is a hefty fee for renewing record in order to become registered in another state. If you plan on registering in multiple states within the next couple of years, the savings by keeping your record active will have offset the reactivation fees. It really just depends on what your plan is.
vrcat25

Postby fpr4 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:17 pm

So when is the $1,100 cert. fee applicable? Do they waive that for the first year (because I haven't paid any part of that) or is it completely waived unless you let your NCARB cert. lapse? $225 to maintain a record that is pretty rudimentary seems like a lot, much less $1,100.
fpr4

Postby rwwon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:58 am

fpr4 wrote: or is it completely waived unless you let your NCARB cert. lapse? $225 to maintain a record that is pretty rudimentary seems like a lot, much less $1,100.

$1,100 is the initial, one time fee that can be waived if you kept your ncarb account active and haven't let it lapse since initial registration. The first year it is half the $225, and then $225 from then on out.

As has been said here multiple times and in other threads, pursuing this depends on your situation, but don't write it off just yet. I took advantage of the waived $1,100, so instead of my work helping pay for it, they just gave me a bonus, so it was a win - win for both of us.

It could be worse - you could be paying more for an membership and getting less in return... like AIA 8-)
rwwon

Postby little12 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:23 pm

Honestly, you may not even know if this is a benefit to you yet. *keeping it going I mean*. My boss, for example, let his lapse forever ago because he thought he'd never want/need to be licensed anywhere but here. Then we were bought out by another firm and our service area went from one state to 4. So he had to go thru the process with NCARB to get certified, pay the fees, etc etc etc. I recall it being rather a large pain in the ass for him to do on top of the fees, btw. So keep in mind that you might not know your future very well yet ;)

And yes, $225 is alot, but your firm should be paying it...along with your licensure renewals every 2 years. Also, this is probably the wrong line of work to be in if you don't want to have to pay this kind of stuff all the time. Not trying to be rude, but our business is kinda linked directly to all these things that cost money to maintain and be a part of of...so it's just part of it!
little12

Postby fpr4 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:25 am

I am dealing with this right now to try to get reciprocity in Tennessee. Does anyone have experience with the record transfer? I have paid NCARB the $400 and requested the transfer. How long should I expect to wait? For $400 I would think it would be fairly expeditious.
fpr4

Postby sbyrktct » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:17 am

fpr4 wrote:I am dealing with this right now to try to get reciprocity in Tennessee. Does anyone have experience with the record transfer? I have paid NCARB the $400 and requested the transfer. How long should I expect to wait? For $400 I would think it would be fairly expeditious.

NCARB doesn't notify you when they make the record transfer.
The wait depends on the state, not NCARB.
I've waited anywhere from 5 days to over a month for a reciprocal registration.
sbyrktct

Postby fpr4 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:54 pm

sbyrktct wrote:
fpr4 wrote:I am dealing with this right now to try to get reciprocity in Tennessee. Does anyone have experience with the record transfer? I have paid NCARB the $400 and requested the transfer. How long should I expect to wait? For $400 I would think it would be fairly expeditious.

NCARB doesn't notify you when they make the record transfer.
The wait depends on the state, not NCARB.
I've waited anywhere from 5 days to over a month for a reciprocal registration.

So how do I know when to start bugging the state board because they have everything they need to process the application?
fpr4

Postby sbyrktct » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:06 am

fpr4 wrote:So how do I know when to start bugging the state board because they have everything they need to process the application?

If you don't hear from the state after a week of them receiving your application, make a call and ask for an update.
sbyrktct

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION