DONE! but not yet...

DONE! but not yet...

Postby Lola » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:21 am

...because I moved to California and need to take the CSE. So I'm done! but the joy comes and go with the thought that I am almost there... I was dreaming of the day I would post this, but know it feels like I should hold off and celebrate after passing CSE.
Anyway, I started my initial license in my jurisdiction prior to transfer my record to CA, I want to have and keep my license in my original jurisdiction.

For those of you who are wondering how long my process took, I would say, a lot, three years. My order was SD, CDS, SS, BDCS (1st fail), BS, SPD, PPP, BDCS (2nd fail) & BDCS (almost a 2-year gap between the 2nd fail and pass). Whenever I took a momentum on my tests life got in the way, so I had to put ARE aside at times, but that's just how life is and this is my process, so kudos to myself.

Probably most of you are lucky enough to not have to deal with the vignettes. The things I am most happy to delete from my computer are the Vignette programs and alternates, if I could I would do a bonfire with them, I don't understand what they contribute towards my career growth, other than the need to pass them.

My study materials:

-Ballast's ARE Review Manual & Q&A Books
-Archiflash Cards (I am selling these, look in the Used Materials threads)
-Kaplan Q&A & Practice Exam
-AGS - specially for BS
-MEEB - for BS & BDCS
-FBC - BDCS (also selling)
-Gang Chen books: got these with a friend to share cost, but we both found them LAME after all...
-Miltaski's online seminar for BS & MC simulator - very good, you practically read MEEB completely. You will need a LOT of coffee because the voice is soooo boring... but it was worth it.
-Amber Book for BS - this gave me a headache, but this book is not intended for you to pass the practice questions, rather than understand what each one is about. Buy it.
-Thaddeus Live Seminar for SS - I LOVED this one. This was the test I was most concerned with. I studied a month before the seminar and a month after (as he recommends) and passed. I don't know if he still gives them, but he gave quick and excellent support through email.
-FEMA document for seismic design - A MUST for SS
-Caroline's Notes for CDS & PPP- my lifesaver, specially the code section -- THANK YOU CAROLINE WHEREVER YOU ARE!!!!
-Friedman's Lectures (Schiff Hardin) & AIA Contracts - if you feel like you are ripping off your eyes while reading the AIA contracts, go through them with these audios to help ease the pain.
-My own flashcards for each test - I come from an era where we used to take notes for studying and draw to visualize things, so it was important for me to be able to write and use colors and different sizes of flashcards...
-NCARB 3.1 & 4.0 - some people oversee these, but there is a LOT of info in there. Before studying I always did version 4.0 and evaluate the areas I was failing and began from there.
-All vignette alternates I could find...

I know there are a lot more seminars and materials out there, but stick with one or two of the same series and you should be fine. I don't like to recommend a time frame for studying. Use the pace that fits you most, but definitively don't dwell too much in each test, you will start to forget. And if you ever fail, mourn but move on quickly, don't let it get to you.

Thank you Coach for creating this blog or whatever it is called, just in time after the AREforum died (I did feel lost until I found this).

Now moving to CSE...
Lola

Re: DONE! but not yet...

Postby buckie06 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:44 am

congrats Lola, and thanks for all the tips!
buckie06

Re: DONE! but not yet...

Postby Melon Panda » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:37 pm

Conglarurations! And thank you for your recommended resources.
Melon Panda

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION