7 for 7...but...

7 for 7...but...

Postby cbeshore » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:00 am

I wrote this a year ago to post but somehow forgot about it until someone in my office mentioned this forum. Hopefully you enjoy it:

7 for 7…but over the course of 5 years, so don’t be me. I graduated with a BARCH on 2005 at 30. I was also commissioned as an Army Reserve Officer having been enlisted for a number of years prior. Immediately after graduation I had a year of training for the Army followed by an all-expense paid trip to the Middle East. I started working in 2008 as an Intern at 33 years of age. I fell under the old rules where you had to finish IDP before testing. During that 2+ year period I was proactive and took LEED and CDT to get those out of the way and since I couldn’t take the AREs and my firm was pushing hard on those. In April 2010 I received my eligibility and my wife was 6 months pregnant. This was just the first of many excuses I used to put this process off. I am still in the Army Reserves so, over the next year and change, I had a couple 2- week schools I needed to go to for my next promotion which also required some distance learning (next excuse). Fast forward to March 2012 before I took CDS and passed. One month later I took SD and passed. After that, I have no idea what happened. Next thing I know we are having our second child in July 2013 (next excuse). Fast forward again to April 2014 before I took SPD and passed. I remember fully intending to take the next one in a month again but it wasn’t until August 2014 until I took and passed PPP. Then I hit another period of time I cannot account for. I think maybe because I realized I had taken the 4 “easy” ones that there was this dread about still having the 3 “hard” ones left that made me stagnate again. Fast forward another year to May 2015 before I took and passed BS. One month later, SS and a pass. One month later after building some momentum, I take BDCS and done.

I couldn’t be more relived to have this monkey off my back. There are a few reasons and a lot of excuses why it took me so long. The first thing being, having to finish IDP before testing. To those who don’t have to deal with that requirement any longer, take it for the blessing it is and don’t waste it. You are never going to have an easier time taking these exams than when you first start working. This is the time when the least is expected from you at work and it is more than likely the time when the least is expected from you outside of work (no marriage, kids, house, ect). Get your number and start IMMEDIATELY. Once you begin…DO. NOT. STOP. FOR. ANY. REASON. Death in the family, suck it up – keep studying and testing. Work got real busy, suck it up – keep studying and testing. Just had a kid, suck it up - keep studying and testing. Doing a major renovation on your house, suck it up – keep studying and testing. [All of the previous being excuses I used] The longer you wait, the more daunting it becomes, the more internal and external pressure, and the more money you leave on the table. Look, life happens, I get it, but just accept the fact that you are not going to have a life for a good chunk of a year and knock it out. It will not get easier and it will certainly not take less time the longer you wait.

There are also a few psychological hurdles in this process, at least for me. I like immediate results. After passing my first test I remember thinking, “congratulations, now go take 6 more” and that was rather disconcerting to say the least. I remember thinking that “when I get past 4 exams, I’ll be coasting downhill and finish quickly” which leads to the next hurdle I mentioned before. Having the “hard” ones left to take down the final stretch is a decision I think I would reverse now having been through it, but that’s just me. Yet another hurdle in my case was that I was lucky and had been doing the job of a licensed architect after working for little more than a year. This was probably due to the fact that I was older than a typical intern when I started and I have years of leadership experience from the Army. I was going on interviews, the sole attendant to client meetings, doing my own jobs start to finish, ect. I think if I was chained to a desk doing bathroom elevations like some unlucky interns I would have gotten on it faster, but that’s yet another excuse.

All in all, I only studied for a month for each test. With the exception of SS and maybe BDCS (vignettes) I found myself feeling ready to test after 3 weeks. There is simply no reason anyone shouldn’t be able to finish these exams in 6 months and put it in your rearview mirror. Experience doesn’t really help with the exams, I would argue in most cases it actually hurts. The information on the exams will only help you be better at your job sooner than would otherwise be possible. Finishing with the exams won’t guarantee you anything, but not finishing will certainly guarantee you nothing…if that make sense.

Anyway, that’s my story, if it helps just one person who reads it then my time was not completely wasted. I don’t blame you if you don’t listen to me, I wouldn’t listen to me either. I have to learn all lessons for myself. Just remember the moral of my story…don’t be me.

Good luck.
cbeshore

Re: 7 for 7...but...

Postby Kiedys.Zdam. » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:10 am

Great Post. Congratulations!.

I actually applied all of your advises to my process before hearing them. When I finally got to the testing center I put my foot down to the floor and regardless of the family and life events I sucked them all up and killed it in short of a year. It brought plenty of issues, aggravation and pure acts of neglect in some areas (life work house) on the way but I am happy to have it in my rear view mirror and wouldn't change a thing.
Kiedys.Zdam.

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION