General ARE Advice

General ARE Advice

Postby saibotzero » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:14 pm

Since I'm done with my AXP hours and am not currently working, my plan is to try to finish the AREs (4.0) ASAP, within 2-4 months. I passed SPD 2 years ago and failed the other exams, sans BDCS & SD, which I haven't attempted. My plan is to take CDs and PPP in 2 weeks, and then take one exam every 2 weeks until I'm done. I'd be studying 60-75 hours a week.

Overall, my study materials include the NCARB exam guide, ballast book with q & a supplement, gang chen, Jenny & Caroline's Notes, NALSA & Ballast Flashcards, as well as supplementary material supplied by this forum and other sites, such as skyrktct.

Do you have any general advice as to this approach? I think 130+ hours should be enough studying to pass SS, BDCS, and BS each.
saibotzero

Re: General ARE Advice

Postby buckie06 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:59 am

I think you may get burned out studying 60-75 hours a week. But you know yourself better than we do. Not having a job you can probably be prepared for each exam in two weeks.

good luck and get them done!
buckie06

Postby rwwon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:01 pm

I would aim for 3-4 hours of QUALITY study time a day for a couple weeks and call it good. I spent that much, and it was fragmented with spacing off, watching random cat videos, searching for "better" study materials... lol. I guess what I am saying is if you study smart, with direction and real intent, you won't need to put a ton of hours into it.
rwwon

Postby Quigaboo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:30 am

I used a similar method. The only exam that I spent more time prepping for was SS. I usually scheduled my next exam the day I tested the previous exam and left no more than 2-3 weeks between. I found that majority of my studying was done the week prior to the exam. I would suggest the Ermann seminar (preferably live) for BS and Thaddeus (preferably live) for SS.

You will burn out but since you're not working it will not be that bad. But I must say that depending on how much practical experience you have as you are currently not working, you may be a bit ambitious with your goal. I had 15 years of experience before I decided to test.
Quigaboo

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:48 am

I don't know how others balance their study time out between MC and Vignette practice. I typically use the last week before my exam to stop studying all of the MC material and focus only on the vignettes. But normally I take about a month to study for each exam due to work hours being crazy. I would be curious to know how others balance their time between MC and vignettes.
corbismyhomeboy

Postby saibotzero » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:46 pm

buckie06 wrote:I think you may get burned out studying 60-75 hours a week. But you know yourself better than we do. Not having a job you can probably be prepared for each exam in two weeks.

good luck and get them done!

rwwon wrote:I would aim for 3-4 hours of QUALITY study time a day for a couple weeks and call it good. I spent that much, and it was fragmented with spacing off, watching random cat videos, searching for "better" study materials... lol. I guess what I am saying is if you study smart, with direction and real intent, you won't need to put a ton of hours into it.

Understood guys . I'll make sure not to burn out too much, haha. I used to study around 15-20 hours a week while working full time, so I'm hoping this method won't be any more difficult. I agree that quality > quantity, so I'll make sure not to over do it. I'll generally focus on concepts unless the exams call for anything "detailed."

Quigaboo wrote:I used a similar method. The only exam that I spent more time prepping for was SS. I usually scheduled my next exam the day I tested the previous exam and left no more than 2-3 weeks between. I found that majority of my studying was done the week prior to the exam. I would suggest the Ermann seminar (preferably live) for BS and Thaddeus (preferably live) for SS.

You will burn out but since you're not working it will not be that bad. But I must say that depending on how much practical experience you have as you are currently not working, you may be a bit ambitious with your goal. I had 15 years of experience before I decided to test.

Thank you for reminding me of those Seminars - there's one happening in mid-November that coincides with my testing schedule.

corbismyhomeboy wrote:I don't know how others balance their study time out between MC and Vignette practice. I typically use the last week before my exam to stop studying all of the MC material and focus only on the vignettes. But normally I take about a month to study for each exam due to work hours being crazy. I would be curious to know how others balance their time between MC and vignettes.

I usually spend 2-3 days on vignettes wherever I can fit them in while studying the core material.
saibotzero

Postby bonn13 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:04 am

maybe this would be of some help!
http://www.archadvice.wordpress.com/blog
bonn13

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION