Do I give up now?

Re: Do I give up now?

Postby greek22 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:40 pm

I am very pleased to say, after several attempts and lots of hard work and determination, I have finally passed my first exam. I found out earlier today that I passed CDS. I just wanted to take the time to thank everyone who pushed me to keep going, even though I was close to giving up a few months ago. Although, I still have a long way to go and it took me a long time to get here..I'm committed and ready to push through and start checking off all these exams. PPP is scheduled for early November! Thank you all again! If I can do it, then you can do it too!
greek22

Postby Kiedys.Zdam. » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:24 am

greek22 wrote:I am very pleased to say, after several attempts and lots of hard work and determination, I have finally passed my first exam. I found out earlier today that I passed CDS. I just wanted to take the time to thank everyone who pushed me to keep going, even though I was close to giving up a few months ago. Although, I still have a long way to go and it took me a long time to get here..I'm committed and ready to push through and start checking off all these exams. PPP is scheduled for early November! Thank you all again! If I can do it, then you can do it too!

I can only imagine you running around the room with soiled pants screaming pass pass pass....BTDT!! I knew you can do it, just set your priorities and fire!
Now read below, this guy has it right.

introversed wrote:I can't help but wonder if it's your study method.

If you aren't already, I think the most important thing to know for these exams are the overall principles. Terms and figures come second to that.

Example:

Sustainable Site Design: Do everything you can to minimize excavating into virgin land / greenfield.

This principle alone can help you deduce the correct answers in multiple-choice settings, such as: a) you should choose a brownfield for site development before a greenfield, b) why you should minimize the building footprint by doing a thin tower instead of a fat one-story box, etc etc.

Other principles:

Passive Solar Heating: nothing should physically be in the way of any sunlight hitting your building from a southern angle

Defensible Space: The smaller and closer a space is to the home/apartment, the safer it is

etc etc

OMG - This comment is spot on!. This is exactly what made me pass all these!
Kiedys.Zdam.

Postby greek22 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:12 pm

Haha something like that!! Thank you!! It took me a while to grasp the concept that its not about the minutia but about the concepts. introverted hit it right on the head!!!!
introversed wrote:
If you aren't already, I think the most important thing to know for these exams are the overall principles. Terms and figures come second to that.
greek22

Postby lauren.vogl » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:42 am

I too have had a tough time with passing exams and taken many of them multiple times. The game-changer for me was getting a mentor. I found someone in the architecture community in my city and asked for their mentorship and if they had time to meet with me. This turned out to be about 3 times before each exam. After getting into this routine...BOOM - I passed three tests in a row (all ones I had previously failed). I realized talking through concepts was huge for me. Unless I had a conversation and understood what was moving through my brain and coming out of my mouth was correct, I wasn't going to really let the information sink in. We all learn differently and I feel that many people in the architecture world are experiential or linguistic learners. Very best of luck to you, you got this, one test at a time, not being afraid to reach out for help, celebrating small victories and believing in yourself.
lauren.vogl

Postby bonn13 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:21 pm

bonn13

Postby bonn13 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:30 pm

bonn13

Postby Lexis » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:06 am

Never give up. Maybe you have to transition to 5.0. Maybe the format may suit your better. Giving up is not an option.
Your advantage is that you have time since you are younger.
I just passed all 7 after 2.5 years, 42yrs old, with 3 kids all under 8. Took BS 4x.
My advice is to transition to 5.0, be confident in your answers and not second guess your self.
I am a firm believer that examination is not the best and fairest way to assess ones knowledge. You know more than you think. Keep pushing.
Lexis

Postby tmston2 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:31 am

^
I am a firm believer that examination is not the best and fairest way to assess ones knowledge

I couldnt agree woth you more, and congrats on finishing all 7
tmston2

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:16 pm

Lexis, Congrats to you!!

I'm always so impressed with people who tackle these exams with so much responsibility in their lives. That is truly a feat to pass when you have kids - and more than one! :shock:
corbismyhomeboy

Previous

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION