Broadly Experienced Architect (BEA)

Broadly Experienced Architect (BEA)

Postby DaveW » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:59 pm

Has anyone gone through with this? It costs $1900 for NAAB-EESA to review and establish your education deficiencies. Then it can cost upwards of upwards of $5000 grand for NCARB to review your Dossier once you think you've adequately fulfilled those deficiencies. The whole Dossier thing reminds me of higher stakes version of "Emerging Professional's Companion"

I think I have two options at this point - either go back to school, or stay in my very good paying job and get the BEA. There may be a way I could go back to school while retaining my job.
DaveW

Re: Broadly Experienced Architect (BEA)

Postby Nickers » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:39 am

So after reading your post I started looking into this. I also do not have an NAAB accredited degree but I have a BS in Architectural Engineering. I am not very happy with what I am reading. I graduated in 1998 so I am not sure if there is a grandfather rule? Probably not but I am curious. Good luck with whatever road you take. The BEA seems like a lot of money.
I am certainly interested to see what other people have to say.
Nickers

Postby alexwilkosz24 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:42 pm

Lots of money but cheaper than going back to school....
alexwilkosz24

Postby Kurt999 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:32 am

Dave -- what degree do you have?
I knew a guy with a Wisc. license and no degree of any kind who was attempting to do the BEA thing. With no degree at all, the requirements were quite a bit worse. Apparently the stats on successfully achieving this path aren't encouraging. Well worth checking out, however. And much cheaper than school.
Kurt999

Postby Norfilly » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:51 am

I'll chime in since I'm in one of those online NAAB programs, an executive one. It's not at your pace, per se, but the schools [it's arch school so you already know what to expect]. Executive means condensed [16 week program condensed into 8 for 3 credit courses]. Meaning 16 weeks worth of assignments, reading and drawings, etc. due in an 8 consecutive week format [Studio is still 16 weeks, with pinups, juries]. Time management is paramount, especially if you're in a small firm [do all the work, own your own practice], have a family, prior commitments, etc. One of my classes is set up that the 8 weeks of work are just due at the end of the class, so that's nice, but not the standard.
There's a fellow in my cohort that went the BEA route in Illinois and got shafted [licensed in Wis? paid all the money for BEA, worked his own practice for 15 years or so, IL said no deal]. I don't know all the details, but I'll ask him and report.
Norfilly

Postby Norfilly » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:06 am

Simple answer is this degree cheaper than others [and quicker, while holding job format]. Live in Philly, most work not in Philly, other states along mid atlantic and northeast. Need NCARB for Jersey [seriously don't try the other route, you'll be out money and lots of time], NAAB Degree for PA [reciprocity] and CT [reciprocity]. Hate "office" I work at, but have been offered crap elsewhere. Ultimately the NAAB will make me a lot more mobile [national and international], both as an employee and an employer [still building my portfolio but need paying clients]. It's easy to find work, it's difficult to collect & business [I keep thinking I'm inexpensive, but wrongly it seems]. I do mostly Commercial [they care about price, not portfolio] [should branch out a bit more, have some pretty pictures but not built].
My comrades at school range from just out of a BS/BA degree [low 20s] to in their 60s and have been practicing on their own for 20+ years. Some licensed, some not [requirements changed for school, academic performance / portfolio accepted now as well]

...Or I'm just nuts, and like being in debt / under pressure...
Norfilly

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION