Illinois Reciprocity

Illinois Reciprocity

Postby DaveW » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:32 pm

I'm interested in finding out how reciprocity in Illinois will work after the new law takes affect on Jan 1st 2014.

Anyone have the scoop on the latest greatest upcoming constraints? i.e. Are they going to require a NAAB accredited degree for reciprocity. The current reciprocity instructions allow for a board vote upon application. But with the new law coming in, I'm not sure if the same system stays in place.

Thanks.
DaveW

Re: Illinois Reciprocity

Postby alexwilkosz24 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:35 am

I live in il, had a bachelors 4 year non professional fro Milwaukee....went to grad school apecifically because IL will require a professional license for rexiprocity. You can be licensed in say wisconsin but cannot become licensed in IL

I believe this to be true.

NCARB websitr has all this info on it
alexwilkosz24

Postby DaveW » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:42 am

alexwilkosz24 wrote:I live in il, had a bachelors 4 year non professional fro Milwaukee....went to grad school apecifically because IL will require a professional license for rexiprocity. You can be licensed in say wisconsin but cannot become licensed in IL

I believe this to be true.

NCARB websitr has all this info on it

Kind of name is Wilkosz?
Last edited by DaveW on Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaveW

Postby alexwilkosz24 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:33 pm

I am of Polish heritage. I do not speak a lick tho.
alexwilkosz24

Postby GenXArch40 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:55 pm

I'm an Illinois resident seeking a Wisconsin license. A few more exams and I will have completed the ARE. I've already acquired about 10,500 IDP units as well. Additionally, I've about 20 years, paid, full-time experience working under the direct supervision of a licensed architect(s). Unfortunately, I do not have a degree from a NAAB accredited institution. That means I will never possess an NCARB certificate or receive an Illinois license. I just want a license. I can care less where it's from or what a piece of paper says. I can do the job, I love architecture, and I win my employment by how I present myself, my skills, and portfolio. Illinois won't reciprocate without an NCARB certificate, or anything less than possessing the dossier that would enable you receive an NCARB certidicate. I had many a conversation with the Illinois licensing board and assured me I will never be licensed without a NAAB degree.

That all being said, I've copy/pasted a letter I got from NCARB regarding Illinois licensing requirements. Hope this helps!

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
PLEASE READ AND FORWARD TO OTHERS
To:Illinois Architect Interns

Director, Records

Date: 9 October 2013

Subject: Extension of the Pre-Professional Degree Alternative until January 1, 2016

You are receiving this notice because our records indicate that you are an intern residing in Illinois and/or are taking the Architect Registration Examination® (ARE®) through Illinois. This spring you received a notice informing you that effective January 1, 2014, the Illinois Architecture Licensing Board was changing its requirements for architectural licensure. However, last month Governor Quinn signed Senate Bill 1792 into law, thereby extending acceptance of the pre-professional degree to the end of 2015.
Here’s what you need to know:
In 2005, the Illinois Architecture Licensing Board amended the education requirement for licensure outlined in the Illinois Architecture Practice Act of 1989. This amendment stated that effective January 1, 2014, the Department will no longer allow architect interns to apply for licensure by examination without a NAAB-accredited degree or an EESA evaluation of a foreign degree that is determined to meet the equivalence of a NAAB-accredited degree. Then in August 2013, the Illinois Architecture Practice Act of 1989 was amended to change the effective date from January 1, 2014 to January 1, 2016.
Applicants with a pre-professional degree must meet all Illinois requirements for licensure by examination and submit a completed application to the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulations postmarked no later than December 31, 2015. These requirements include:
Completion of a pre-professional degree.
Completion of 9,360 experience hours pursuant to the IDP experience requirements; twice the listed minimum experience hours required for each experience category and area shall be acquired.
Successful completion of the ARE in accordance with the Illinois Architecture Practice Act of 1989 as amended and the Administrative Rules.
Per the Illinois Architecture Licensing Board, if you have not met these requirements or your application for licensure by examination is postmarked after December 31, 2015, your application will automatically be denied.
If you have a pre-professional degree and plan on attaining your initial license by examination in Illinois, please be aware of the following:
Your authorization to test will expire on December 31, 2015 and cannot be reauthorized for Illinois.There will be no extensions to this eligibility. Applicant’s authorization to test is dependent upon meeting the requirements of the Illinois Architecture Practice Act of 1989, and as of January 1, 2016, the Act no longer allows a pre-professional degree for licensure by examination. Thus, you will not be able to schedule or sit for any exams without first becoming eligible in another jurisdiction.
Only interns with a NAAB-accredited degree will be able to continue testing under Illinois jurisdiction or apply for a new authorization to test in Illinois after January 1, 2016.
Other important information:
If you graduated with a professional degree from a program accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) or have had an EESA evaluation of your foreign degree that NCARB accepts as meeting the requirements of a NAAB-accredited degree, please disregard this notice as this change will not impact you.
For more detailed information on the changes to the Illinois Architecture Practice Act and Administrative Rules, please review Section 305/13 of the Act and Sections 1150.10 and 1150.40 of the Administrative Rules. To access the Act and Rules click here.
If you have any questions regarding this notification, please contact the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation at 217/524-3211.
If you are aware of an intern that may benefit from this information, we would appreciate your assistance in sharing this notice.
GenXArch40

Postby aa_banned » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Two possible solutions:
1. Spend one year at an accredited Arch school and get a 2nd accredited B. Arch degree, and then get your license.

2. Move to another state that does not require an accredited B. Arch degree, get you license and practice architecture there.
aa_banned

Postby Ramses » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:24 pm

If you only have a few more exams to go, don't you think you could do them by Dec. 31, 2015 and still get licensed in Illinois?
Ramses

Postby DaveW » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:46 pm

Two possible solutions:
1. Spend one year at an accredited Arch school and get a 2nd accredited B. Arch degree, and then get your license.

To my knowledge impossible in California. Most Public institutions don't allow that to happen. I forget what it's called. Something about a cap on degrees, that if you already have bachelors, you can't be admitted to get another one.

2. Move to another state that does not require an accredited B. Arch degree, get you license and practice architecture there.

That is more feasible for me. I have very little family and attachments, as most of what would have been my family were exterminated, or exiled by Germans and Soviets.
DaveW

Postby DaveW » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:50 pm

Illinois won't reciprocate without an NCARB certificate, or anything less than possessing the dossier that would enable you receive an NCARB certidicate. I had many a conversation with the Illinois licensing board and assured me I will never be licensed without a NAAB degree.

Hmmmmm......see my post below. Thanks for providing this information. By your information, it's looking like it's better to get initial registration now in Illinois instead of reciprocity. Please advise if wrong.

I'm also going to call Illinois tomorrow to verify the information you posted - i.e......

1.) What are the reciprocity rules after law goes into affect.

2.) Is there time to get authorization now before the Jan 1st deadline?

Thanks.
Last edited by DaveW on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
DaveW

Postby DaveW » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:02 am

So basically, by GenXArch40 letter he received, I would need to call the board now and

1.) Get Illinois Authorization to test ASAP before Jan 1, 2014.
2.) Then have my record transferred over there before the December 31, 2015 deadline.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I gather is critical path at this very moment with the new law coming into affect and me having all 7 exams passed with pre-pro.

I'm wondering if it Is safe to just get an initial license from Illinois (using step 1 above) and then do reciprocity to California thereby taking the exam post Illinois? Little bit of sudden death volleyball. :o But it looks like California reciprocity rules are no different than initial registration save for the additional fees, you have to pass the CSE all the same.

I'm interested in this because my larger network is in Illinois, and can probably get work more readily there than in California. I may also decide to move back to that State and just forget about California. Not Likely.

Please advise. Thanks.
Last edited by DaveW on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
DaveW

Postby DaveW » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:04 am

alexwilkosz24 wrote:I am of Polish heritage. I do not speak a lick tho.

okay
Last edited by DaveW on Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveW

Postby DaveW » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:30 am

I forgot to mention that a pre-requisite for any endeavor with a pre-pro is to have 9,360 hours of IDP.

The latest on the law is located here...

Bill Status of SB1792
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillSta ... D=85&GA=98

Bill Status of HB1344
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billsta ... ssionID=85
DaveW

Postby DaveW » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:41 am

Okay, here is what the law says on reciprocity (known as "endorsement" in Illinois).

Sec. 18. Endorsement.
    The Department may, in its discretion, license as an architect, without examination on payment of the required fee, an applicant who is an architect licensed under the laws of another state or territory, if the requirements for licensure in the state or territory in which the applicant was licensed were, at the date of his licensure, substantially equivalent to the requirements in force in this State on that date.

Now the question: ARE CALIFORNIA REQUIREMENTS CONSIDERED EQUAL BY ILLINOIS FOR ENDORSEMENT? I mean, California does have extra requirements. I've heard reciprocity from California is usually good. I can understand why Illinois would reject Wisconsin, but not sure about California. I'm going to ask the board this question tomorrow.

LINK TO LAW: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/il ... apterID=24
DaveW

Postby DaveW » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:45 pm

Requirements are all listed in the application packages here..

http://www.idfpr.com/Renewals/apply/Architect.asp
DaveW

Postby GenXArch40 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:33 pm

Architecture is not taught in night school or weekends. Not a lot of NAAB type places here in the Land of Lincoln. And I'm too old to bother. When I get my WI license, I'll be satisfied. I know I have just a few exams to go, but Illinois has to be a bunch of elitist $%&*ers. Here's an email I got from the horse's mouth when I inquired about expiration in January 2014. No way I can meet NCARB's BEA requirements by January 2016......

Dear Sir,

Licensure by endorsement is based upon a person being licensed in another jurisdiction, and then applying to Illinois. They must have met Illinois requirements of education and examination at the time of licensure, and if the experience was not met at that time, they must have met it by the time they apply to Illinois.

If you do not have an architecture degree, then Illinois will only accept the BEA through NCARB. I suggest that you complete that program and then submit an application for endorsement from Wisconsin. We will then require the NCARB BEA, we would not accept the buff cover as you do not have a pre-professional degree that would allow direct entry into a professional degree as required by law.

The following is a link to where you can access the Act, Rules and application forms:
http://www.idfpr.com/profs/info/architect.asp

M. David Brim
Design Licensing Manager
Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation
Division of Professional Regulation
3rd Fl/Design Unit
320 West Washington St.
Springfield, IL 62786
217-524-3211
GenXArch40

Postby DaveW » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:58 pm

Well, it looks like they are putting a stop to the "Wisconsin Thing" everyone was doing for so many years. I'm curious what they think about coming from California with a pre-pro in 2015. It'll be interesting to find out.

I'm glad he mentioned that they will accept the BEA program. I'm curious if they will accept BEA pre-professional once the new law goes into affect? By what you say, they will not accept BEA after 2016. By what the Brim says, they will accept BEA. Where are you getting this information that they will not accept the BEA after 2016?

I'm going to start a new BEA post that I'm curious about this program.
DaveW

Postby DaveW » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:37 pm

Confirmed. You can apply with a pre-professional degree and 9360 credits by Dec 31, 2015.
DaveW

Postby GenXArch40 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:23 pm

Yeah, Dave. Illinois definitely wants to keep WI creepers like me out. With your IDP and CA credentials, I don't see why you can't apply for an Illinois license. You're good up to Dec 2015. For me, to apply with the NCARB BEA would mean 7 years experience after WI licensure. Considerably long after the 2016 deadline, and a NAAB degree will be mandatory by then. I guess 20 years experience, 10,500 IDP points, and successfully passing the ARE isn't good enough for Illinois :lol: I took arch classes at community college when I was young and got an associates, then did Comp Sci from an NIU satellite campus on nights & weekends for a bachelors. I only take classes now for software. Like Revit, Adobe, Navisworks, etc. Arizona will reciprocate Wisconsin, so moving there might be an option.
GenXArch40

Postby Norfilly » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:47 am

GenXArch40 - Arch school [NAAB] definitely exists on Weekends and Evenings. I attend, in the Land of Lincoln (LOL). Check out SIU-C: http://architecture.siu.edu/graduate/executive-master-of-architecture/emarch-program-description.php. Candidate for M-Arch. There's a few Gen-Xrs in my cohort.

Sure as hell ain't easy though, goodbye week nights, weekends, downtime.

Norfilly
Norfilly

Postby GenXArch40 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:14 pm

Thanks Norfilly! Wow! That's an interesting idea. I have to apologize when I said arch wasn't taught on nights and weekends. I was referring to a legitimate program when I had time for it in the early 90's. Back then, there was no internet. The only schools I was aware of were UIC, IIT, and U of I Champaign. I live in McHenry County, so this SIU program might be an answer. Any tips you might suggest on credit transfers, and how I transition a BA in Comp Sci towards a Masters of Arch? I'll call of course and ask the pertinent questions. Are you currently enrolled in this program now?
GenXArch40

Postby Norfilly » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:27 pm

Yeah, I'm enrolled. with a Pre-Prof BS in Arch. Online on your time [fast paced - it's an executive program]. We meet once a month in St. Louis [central US for most of us].

Call and talk to John Dobbins: 618-453-3734
Norfilly

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION