Drop Box

Drop Box

Postby evaughn » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:31 am

Does anyone use drop box as a server for their firm? We are upgrading and wanted to explore using " the cloud" as a server but need to have fast connection to directly access our large revit files from it.

Thanks!
evaughn

Re: Drop Box

Postby slhill » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:50 am

Depending on the resources in your company, I think Revit Server would be a better thing to explore.

But here are a few links with this topic discussed:
http://therevitkid.blogspot.com/2012/01 ... -free.html
http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2010/06/d ... aring.html
http://www.revitforum.org/worksharing-r ... oodoo.html
slhill

Postby TheRevitKid » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:19 am

slhill - thanks for linking to my website...! What a small world. I have been lurking this forum for some time (I am getting ready to start the AREs) and I saw that link... I figured I might as well register...

Running any type of Revit workshared file over Dropbox or a similar cloud drive is risky but can be done. The biggest problem with dropbox and other cloud drives is when you use them and "save" it saves locally... And in the background it is updating to the cloud. When using a Revit workshared file and this happens Revit doesn't get the feedback right away if someone grabs ownership of an element... Causing some serious corruption of files.

I was able to do it with some friends in school but I don't think I would risk it professionally. All Revit needs is a common network drive/path. If you can find one that doesn't cache in the background (or if you will not have multiple people in the same file), go for it!
TheRevitKid

Postby slhill » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:15 pm

TheRevitKid wrote:slhill - thanks for linking to my website...! What a small world. I have been lurking this forum for some time (I am getting ready to start the AREs) and I saw that link... I figured I might as well register...

You're welcome - I found your blog via RFO and discovered it's pretty helpful, hence the motivation to link it (particularly since I haven't messed with Dropbox for that purpose myself).

I think you'll find joining ARE Coach helpful, particularly once you start posting vignette solutions and asking/answering questions in the division sub-forums.
slhill

Postby TheRevitKid » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:02 pm

Cool. Yeah it has been helpful so far just reading other peoples posts...

RFO is also a great forum. I try and get on it as much as possible and lurk around (joining in from time to time).
TheRevitKid

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION