NCARB Practice Program with Citrix

NCARB Practice Program with Citrix

Postby kmelville » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:47 pm

Ok - I was fine with the remote desktop... everything went smoothly when it came into login.

NOW, with the Citrix... I can't get the Citrix screen to populate. I went to the office with no luck and back home a little closer... but no luck. I go under the application and it prompts the following:

CitrixReceiver
Enter your work email or server address

*IT might not have configured account setup using your email address. In that case, enter server URL provided by IT.

I put in my emails and nothing worked... I do not know what server to put in...

Am I missing something? Has anyone gotten Citrix to work for them????? Testing on Friday SD!!
kmelville

Re: NCARB Practice Program with Citrix

Postby dancan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:51 pm

kmelville wrote:
CitrixReceiver
Enter your work email or server address

*IT might not have configured account setup using your email address. In that case, enter server URL provided by IT.

I put in my emails and nothing worked... I do not know what server to put in...

Did you have any luck fixing this? I was having the same issue after installing Citrix Receiver for Firefox on MacOS. What worked for me, was to access the program through another browser (Chrome). It opened successfully without the message prompt and now I can open the programs in both Firefox and Chrome.

I hope this helps.
dancan

Postby caslem82 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:35 am

I still cannot get this program to work. I've tried different browsers, restarting, re-installing etc. Nothing seems to work. The farthest I could get was in IE and the window said there was an error launching the program (1030). Chrome won't even open the window. Really frustrating when they charge you $$ for garbage that doesn't work properly!!

Anyone else try something different and got it to work?
caslem82

Postby UWS-Arch » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:13 am

I struggled greatly with this last night, with no success.

My successful work-around: NCARB still offers the old 32-bit ARE practice programs. (http://ncarb.org/en/ARE/Preparing-for-the-ARE.aspx) If you're running Windows 7 64-bit, you can download "XP Mode" from Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=8002) which creates a virtual 32-bit drive on your computer.

Open that mode, download and install the 32-bit program, and run it from there. In my opinion, it works much better than the cloud-based programs did anyways, since it's hosted locally - the cloud-based programs had a subtle but maddening mouse-lag when I used them (before the Citrix update prevented me from using them entirely).

Also, if you have any trouble downloading the file in XP Mode (I did, connectivity issues), download it from the regular mode onto a flash drive, which you'll be able to access when in XP Mode.

Hope this helps.
UWS-Arch

Postby caslem82 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:48 am

Oh I did try all of that as well. However, on the Microsoft website it says "Make sure you're running Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate." in order to run XP mode. I have the Windows 7 Home Office version...and I didn't read that part until after I downloaded all of that and tried to use it. It didn't work. So I can't even use that option. :evil:
caslem82

Postby UWS-Arch » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:55 am

AHHH, that stinks. I didn't realize that was a problem... apparently I'm running Enterprise. Sorry.
UWS-Arch

Postby caslem82 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:04 pm

I was able to get the XP Mode working at the office during my lunch hour. I've downloaded alternate vignettes to practice with from here:

http://www.areforum.org/up/Building%20T ... e%20Plans/

but...it doesn't seem to include program for the various alternates (except for Sajjad's alternates). Am I looking in the wrong place for those?

I appreciate the help!
caslem82

Postby Coach » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:08 pm

caslem82 wrote:I was able to get the XP Mode working at the office during my lunch hour. I've downloaded alternate vignettes to practice with from here:

http://www.areforum.org/up/Building%20T ... e%20Plans/

but...it doesn't seem to include program for the various alternates (except for Sajjad's alternates). Am I looking in the wrong place for those?

I appreciate the help!

If there is no program, use the ncarb program. If it's a Dorf alt, you have to buy the program.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby caslem82 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:18 pm

I mean the guidelines for what the design is for on the plans....which is referred to as the 'program' to which you're designing to. If I use NCARBS program layouts for different floor plans it won't work or make sense. I should have worded my question differently. For example ramp alternate #1 doesn't tell me the actual level change just points to the line to say there is a level change...there is no program file to read to tell me what anything is.

Or are these plans really designed to work with the guidelines given from NCARBS practice vignettes?

Very tedious cycle to practice these...
caslem82

Postby furlo028 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:04 pm

I have the same problems getting the practice programs to run with Citrix on my Mac OSX. The only way I can get their desktop to open is to completely shut down my browser, open back up, re-login, and try again. Sometimes it takes me a half an hour but eventually it connects to their server...

Definitely a bigger pain than it needs to be.
furlo028

Postby caslem82 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:35 pm

I received a response from NCARB and they sent me some temporary user info to use to access the cloud. It works but it is SO SLOW and boggy I can't even draw with any accuracy what so ever...its terribly frustrating!! Took me an hour to do the ramp vignette due to it being so boggy and really slow in response time. So lame.
caslem82

Postby chedin » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:42 pm

I got a mass email from them saying this was a known problem and that they're extending everyone's subscription by 3 months...I guess that's great if you think you'll need it for an extra 3 months :)
chedin

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION