NCARB's Intern Think Tank

NCARB's Intern Think Tank

Postby Stuart01 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:48 am

So I signed up for this today. (The deadline is today, btw.)

I must admit that when I first saw the invitation my initial thought was...'Why bother! They will do what they want to do anyway!' But then I thought about it...

I'm curious to know if anyone on here has also signed up and what people's thoughts are about it.
Stuart01

Re: NCARB's Intern Think Tank

Postby mad5427 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:37 am

I was a member of the first think tank and it was a pretty amazing experience. We all actually felt like our voices were being heard. We met for a couple days back in December and from the moment it started, it was brutal honesty. They were very open to the how's and why's the system is the way it is. They also wanted us to truly break it down and we really analyzed what we liked and didn't like. There were 12 of us out of around 200 applicants last year.

At the end of it, we left in teams and developed our ideal programs. Some were overarching changes while others could more be add ons or modifications to the current system. Nobody knows what the charges will be this year except them so it'll be interesting to see what the next team does.

We also were invited to attend and speak at this past July's IDP Coordinator Conference in Miami. That was also a great experience and I learned quite a bit about how to take this knowledge and help people navigate the process.

It was well worth it. I got to meet some great people from all over the US with very diverse backgrounds. I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I could.
mad5427

Postby Stuart01 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:00 am

Thanks Coach.

I wasn't sure what kind of responses I would get from this post. And I'm encouraged by your take on the process. The fact that you were selected speaks volumes to the level of service you continue to provide via this forum.

Earlier this year I found myself becoming more and more jaded about this whole process because of my own personal experiences and disappointments. However, I had to take a real long hard look at myself and take accountability for where I am in the process.

I'm not sure if I will be selected, but if I am I would be ecstatic, because I think its important to be a part of the solution instead of just complaining (which I found myself doing way too often). A little time away from work couldn't hurt also. Because sometimes it's good to get out and dialogue with others going through similar struggles and who share similar ideas.
Stuart01

Postby mad5427 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:02 am

Just to let you know. I'm not Coach. He is the mastermind behind this site. I'm just a member. I'm new here but was/am a member at the ARE Forum.
mad5427

Postby Stuart01 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:07 am

My apologies! Lol. I totally missread the feed. But thanks for your insight. My comments still stand (most of them anyway, lol.)
Stuart01

Postby design8d » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:26 am

Stuart,

I am glad you will be attempting to participate in the process. I considered applying myself (I already live in the DC area), but decided against it since I already have a lot going - trying to finish the exams before the end of the year and getting married in 2014. If this is available again in 2014, I am applying. My biggest frustration with the whole process has been the major disconnect between the accredited Arch Schools and the requirements of licensure. For me studying for these exams has felt like a self-paced - self-tutored masters program. Despite having a 5yr degree from a well respected school, I felt completely unprepared for the architectural license process. I don't think it is fair to leave the burden of preparing you for this step in the process on you and your employer.
I'm glad to see one of the bullet points is "Propose entire concepts for a new “licensure upon graduation” path to licensure". While I would be envious of those fortunate enough to take this route, I believe it is long overdue. If I was part of this Think Tank, most of my efforts would be geared toward that bullet point. I personally think that most of what surrounds ARE 5.0 is just justifiable existence on NCARBs part and I know I am not the only one who feels that way.
design8d

Postby Stuart01 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:49 pm

Yeah, I would be totally surprised if I was selected. But stranger things have happened.
Stuart01

Postby aa_banned » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:35 am

Good move. Instead of just complaining, take part in the process and change the system.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." (Mahatma Gandhi)
aa_banned

Postby Stuart01 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:49 am

aa_banned wrote:Good move. Instead of just complaining, take part in the process and change the system.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." (Mahatma Gandhi)

I couldn't agree more.
Stuart01

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION