ROLLING CLOCK - CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST NCARB

ROLLING CLOCK - CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST NCARB

Postby mrtozier » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:11 pm

I am an older NCARB ARE Candidate. I was under to impression all along that I had an indefinite period of time to complete my tests. I only became aware of the "Rolling Clock" policy change in January 2014. I now have 5 previous passed tests which will be wiped out on July 1, 2014. I AM SEEKING OTHER CANDIDATES IN MY TERRIBLE SITUATION WHO'S PREVIOUS TESTS WILL BE DELETED DUE TO THE POLICY CHANGE. TOO MUCH TIME AND MONEY WAS SPENT TO COMPLETE THOSE TEST. I PLAN ON SEEKING LEGAL MEANS OF ACTION AGAINST NCARB AND HOPE TO FIND OTHERS WHO WILL JOIN ME.
mrtozier

Re: ROLLING CLOCK - CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST NCARB

Postby sbyrktct » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:21 pm

Good luck with that. NCARB instituted the Rolling Clock in 2006:
http://www.ncarb.org/ARE/Taking-the-ARE ... Clock.aspx
I passed my exams in 2009 and the NCARB machine was definitely still preaching the Rolling Clock cutoff. It was everywhere and they were loud about it.
According to your timeline, 2009 is when you would have tested.
No offense, but you really don't have much of a case.
sbyrktct

Postby verygnar2meetU » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:51 pm

Just take your two remaining exams before July 1st. LET IT RIDE.
verygnar2meetU

Postby matte » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:11 pm

matte

Postby almostarchitect » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:59 am

yeah, don't do that. Really no sense in making this process any harder. You are going to cost yourself a lot more money, time, and stress. That time would be better spent retaking the exam and moving on with your life.

Plus, I'm pretty sure there is a screen that pops up during your exam making you aware of the rolling clock. No idea how you didn't know about it.
almostarchitect

Postby Coach » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:43 pm

almostarchitect wrote:Plus, I'm pretty sure there is a screen that pops up during your exam making you aware of the rolling clock. No idea how you didn't know about it.

Obviously he hasn't taken an exam in a long time. Regardless, you should keep up with things.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Corkscrewed » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:35 pm

The $420 to take the two remaining tests will be a far better use of your money than the thousands you'll be spending in a lawsuit. Or even $1050 to retake five exams. Plus, if you were aware of it in January, you could have taken the five tests in this time period.

Then again, architects are stereotypically not the best businessmen, so the pros and cons of each financial choice might be lost upon you. I'd highly discourage a lawsuit, as it's simply going to indebt you in legal fees.
Corkscrewed

Postby Typ » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:33 pm

I do think that the retroactive rule making by NCARB needs to be addressed. On their site in 2009 in BOLD letters NCARB stated exams that were exempt before 2006, would remain exempt and that material would not have to be retaken. The official announcement that exempt exams would expire (was not officially addressed until January 2013). This left little time for those that were still following their rules, assuming that their exams were exempt and notably exempt at the time the exams were paid for. Regardless of where you stand personally, following the rules and changes or not in the pass/fail scenario, this is a serious issue. For those of you who are licensed think about it, NCARB can make retroactive changes to that too, this precedent of rule changing is being set and it needs to be addressed. I think there is a case and hope that it works out for you. I don't know enough about civil suits, but I do think that there was a similar problem with other boards in the past (the psychology board) and the board lost.

Good Luck!
Typ

Postby Shana Ann » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:30 am

I too am in the same boat. In fact, I'm now in the process of taking all of my exams OVER because of it.
However, I was fully aware. Emails, letters, etc. I even filed for a hardship extension due to a divorce/single mom with kids....Not sure how you didn't know either.
Shana Ann

Postby iDefy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:33 pm

I am not sure when you took your last exam, but after the implementation, they have made it impossible for us to prove that we didn't know about the rolling clock. Since I saw this post before my exam this week, I noticed they you have to click 'I understand' on their on-screen statement about the rolling clock before the start of every exam.
iDefy

Postby arshitect » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:57 am

I certainly think the rolling clock is unjust. Really, for those of you defending the system, really, how do you count the ARE as a test of aptitude for the profession? I started my first exam in 2003. Granted, I didnt stick to a plan to knock them all out, but also I was working non-stop and frankly, the pay and rewards kept me going... fast forward to 2009 and I lost my job due to the crash! By this time, I had transitioned to ARE 4.0 already, and passed everything but the PPP (used to be called PreDesign)! Anyway, after the job loss, eventually came the loss home and moving out etc. I finally scored a stable (lower pay) job in 2012, but really barely making ends meet! I took the PPP again, and F'd again!!! Wrote to NCARB, explained my situation, and was told that job Loss and/or Financial burden will not grant an extension! Great feedback! Then my girlfriend became pregnant and we are now expecting (super excited and yes, scared as well ;) ) - so priorities changed! I also moved away (from US) to be with her. Again, wrote to NCARB 3 times just this year asking for a reconsideration. NO RESPONSE! My clock exipred in May! So job loss, financial burden (even homeless for 3 months) and having a kid on the way is not good enough for NCARB!
I commend those of you who have passed it all successfully, but also don’t agree that we should just bend over and let them stick it to us!
arshitect

Postby ontheboards » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:16 am

I am also a candidate that had 2 passing exams nullified BEFORE my 5 yr rolling clock ended. NCARB changed the format of the exams shortly after I started taking them in 2006. They sent me a letter saying that i had 12 months to pass the BT, which they had just decided would be 'linked' to the exams I already passed. During this time I had just gotten married, and unexpectedly got pregnant shortly thereafter. I tried to pass the exam & did not. I didn't fight it. And lost my 2 passing exams 2 yrs after I started.

Now I see that ARE candidates who are new parents get a 6-month extension per child! AND that candidates can take the exams right out of high school! If I had been able to take the exams while I was in architecture school, I wouldn't have had to wait until I was older and ready to have children... :evil:

I was under the impression that multiple class action suits against NCARB were pending. What happened to all of them??
ontheboards

Postby archijive » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:20 pm

5 years is a long time. I got some good advice when I was procrastinating and blaming my "life" . "It's an inconvenience at best, but doable" . It took me 17 mo. with a 3 mo. break in the middle. The break was the worst mistake I made. It was just that, an inconvenience and I don't remember the pain, only the pride. Either you want to be and architect or not. I know a guy who did 7 in 7 weeks. I saw it with my own eyes. So, you can spend your time and money on blaming NCARB or go back to sleep. Another good piece of advice I got from a Dr. who struggled with his M.E. was "if you want to do it, it will come easy". So if you ask yourself that, everything will fall into place. It sounds like you would rather file lawsuits vs. getting your license. Considered law school? It sounds like that is what you want to do with your time. The system is broken, no doubt, but it is what it is. You can't change it here or in court. Good luck and get to work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGibvsqkicU
archijive

Postby plee1 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:35 pm

Any updates on this issue?
plee1

Postby sbyrktct » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:26 am

What issue?
sbyrktct

Postby AREwin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:30 pm

I know this thread was started years ago, but I thought I'd chime in. I lost 4 tests and am now starting back at the beginning. I had to step away from my career and when I was able to start getting back to my professional life, my tests were about to expire. I didn't receive any letters, calls or emails about the change and really feel NCARB didn't try hard enough to contact candidates affected by such a massive change. Between school and career, I'd been active in the architectural world for 18 years with my sights on becoming registered and taking the correct steps all along the way. During that entire time, there hadn't been a wiff of such a massive change. I had to step away from my career and when I came back to it I was shocked to find out my tests were about to expire and NCARB hadn't contacted me. They screwed up, and it hurt the people NCARB and the AIA most want to bring into the profession in larger numbers because registered architects are mostly white middle class males. NCARB should have made sure they had direct contact with everyone affected by the change. They should have made the extra effort, and they messed up big time.
AREwin

Postby Sparky83 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:38 am

AREwin wrote:I know this thread was started years ago, but I thought I'd chime in. I lost 4 tests and am now starting back at the beginning. I had to step away from my career and when I was able to start getting back to my professional life, my tests were about to expire. I didn't receive any letters, calls or emails about the change and really feel NCARB didn't try hard enough to contact candidates affected by such a massive change. Between school and career, I'd been active in the architectural world for 18 years with my sights on becoming registered and taking the correct steps all along the way. During that entire time, there hadn't been a wiff of such a massive change. I had to step away from my career and when I came back to it I was shocked to find out my tests were about to expire and NCARB hadn't contacted me. They screwed up, and it hurt the people NCARB and the AIA most want to bring into the profession in larger numbers because registered architects are mostly white middle class males. NCARB should have made sure they had direct contact with everyone affected by the change. They should have made the extra effort, and they messed up big time.

YOU messed up big time, not NCARB (and for the record, I despise NCARB). It's your responsibility to keep up. The "massive change" took place in 2006, and you're just now figuring that out?
Sparky83

Postby dbayrami » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:41 pm

what i'm upset about it my rolling clock basically being cut in half because of 5.0. i should have until 2020 to finish 2 more exams instead of -5 months.
dbayrami

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION