Working without a permit

Working without a permit

Postby knmardix » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:05 pm

I have an ethics question I thought I would run by everyone.

The company I work for has agreed to provide drawings for a repeat client who will be doing the work without a permit and the finished product will not meet code. This is an interior remodel to an existing commercial structure. I know this is wrong since the principal and project manager know this is going to be done without a permit and wont be code compliant. My question is what should I do in this situation? Should I tip off the municipality or just let it be? I have no involvement in the project or with the client but any consequences could effect me because I do work for this firm. I dont feel right about letting it go, knowing everyone who frequents this particular store when complete will not have the amenities to code benefits them. What do you think I should do or what would you do in this situation?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
knmardix

Re: Working without a permit

Postby Bebop » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:35 pm

That's a difficult situation. Perhaps write an anonymous letter to the AHJ? Or just a regular letter. If it involves the life-safetly of future occupants, you have an obligation to speak up. If it were me, I'd hate to find out what would happen if there were ever a problem and the lawyers were able to discover that I knew it wasn't legal. That could end a career (or worse), and your employer shouldn't be putting anyone in such a risky position. And then there's the obvious health, safety, and welfare of the building's occupants. Every building has code violations; human error is one thing, but neglegence is quite another.
Bebop

Re: Working without a permit

Postby poocaholoky » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:52 pm

I have the exact situation right now with a client my boss gave me. I designed a rehab and addition alteration for a superstorm sandy flood job for an SFH for a man who thinks he knows it all. Since day one I measured the house he quite loudly trumpeted he wasn't getting a permit. I informed the general contractor that if he went ahead without a permit and the twp caught him, it was his business on the line in the twp. Long story short the client applied for the permit but has been doing foundation work in the meantime and I know it's gonna be a nightmare once the twp finds out he poured footings without inspections.
poocaholoky

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION