how to use the exam software?

how to use the exam software?

Postby spiketwig » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:57 pm

Hi all - new to these boards so I apologize if this is bit of a repeat question - I searched through a bit but didn't see anything quite like what I was looking for.

The problem is I am totally baffled by the exam software :( . I am practicing using the Citrix web access via NCARB. I feel like it is next to impossible to get elements to align correctly and it takes me many (MANY) tried to get things to place in the correct spot. I'm just confused by the whole thing, I don't see how I can draw accurately with it, and on top of it all I'm unclear how rigorously my drawing is scored - do they just expect everything to be a bit off, or is that insta-fail? Is there a snaps button I'm missing? Is there a trick to using this software? I did all the software tutorials that came with the Citrix edition, I'm totally fluent in normal CAD, but this just seems like a tedious mess and I just don't understand how to draw even reasonably accurately with it.
spiketwig

Re: how to use the exam software?

Postby kbrsnow » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:36 pm

Practice your vignettes multiple times and post for review in the respective discussions.
You need to get out of the mindset that the vignette program is not CAD and treat it more like a sketching program. I believe they make the Inaccuracies deliberately invoke the added stress of taking the exam. Look at the ncarb study guide and find a copy of Dorf Solutions to get an idea of allowable solutions and fails in each vignette. Good luck!
kbrsnow

Postby archmomof3 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:12 pm

I think part of it is the Citrix web access. The program (although still stunningly crappy) works much more smoothly from your own hard drive or at the test center. It's very choppy over the web, in my experience. I could draw almost twice as fast on the real exam.

As far as the accuracy of the drafting, it's a little counter-intuitive if you are used to AutoCAD or the like. One thing I learned is to rely heavily on the distance reading on the bottom (the one that changes as you drag your mouse to show how far you have drawn.) Totally not the way I work normally, but it's key for getting the exact distance you want.

You have to accept that their lines are like a really thick polyline, and you either butt one up to the other one, edge it in a few "clicks" or click to the center point, depending on the situation. I'd highly recommend spending time reading this forum as you prepare for each section. See what people are saying about their technique. Also, watch youtube videos of people executing the exam. There are some really good tips, and it helped me greatly with my efficiency, especially on the building section. You will see whether they are snapping to the center point, the edge, etc.

I'd take Dorf reading with a grain of salt; there are other, more current, resources available, such as this board and the study guides that people post here (Mike's notes, Jenny's notes, etc.)
archmomof3

Postby AngerIsAnEnergy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:40 am

^ good post, thanks. I'm testing in a couple weeks...

I think most here seem to concur that Dorf is great, but not needed for CDS.

It also seems to help greatly for people to post their solutions -- and it's probably not a great idea to wait until a day or two before the test to do this.
AngerIsAnEnergy

Postby spiketwig » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:55 am

Just wanted to update this, having taken a couple tests and passed.
1. the software totally sucks (as we all know)
2. practice makes perfect
3. it's not as precise as I'm used to with AutoCAD, but as they tell us it's precise enough to get the job done in NCARB-land
4. it really is MUCH SMOOTHER in the exam room than it is on the Citrix Web access, which is a relief.
spiketwig

Postby sbyrktct » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:54 am

spiketwig wrote:2. practice makes perfect

*practice makes better
sbyrktct

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION