5.0 exam order?

5.0 exam order?

Postby ArchFaction » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:52 pm

I am considering transitioning from 4.0 to 5.0, have passed the trifecta ... CD, SPD, PPP, ... SD. If i transition i will need to do PPD and PDD... is there a testing order that is beneficial in 5.0? Frankly i have not found much info on this topic.
Your thoughts are appreciated.
ArchFaction
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:58 pm

Re: 5.0 exam order?

Postby adamgidaszewski » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:20 pm

I'm in the same boat as you...I just found out I passed PPP (3rd try) this morning, thus completing my trifecta

I'd like to transition ASAP and begin testing and have been wondering about the order. From what little I've read about these 2 last tests, it seems like a logical order would be PPD and then PDD. The reason I say this - and remember, this is unsubstantiated and unsupported - is because it seems like PPD deals with topics that are more similar to what we conquered in PPP/SPD, so they may be somewhat easier to study for. Then, transitioning to PDD would really change gears to the nitty gritty of building systems/integration and the like. (PDD seems like a real doozy)

Thoughts?

Anyone else with knowledge/feedback please chime in
adamgidaszewski
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:58 am

Re: 5.0 exam order?

Postby cloudyy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:05 am

I passed the magic 3 and then am working on PPD/PDD. My two cents: they are so similar you should prepare for them together and take them both as close as possible. For what it's worth--I started with PPD, failed it twice, and passed PDD on my second shot at it.
cloudyy
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 10:04 pm

Re: 5.0 exam order?

Postby ArchFaction » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:09 pm

cloudyy wrote:I passed the magic 3 and then am working on PPD/PDD. My two cents: they are so similar you should prepare for them together and take them both as close as possible. For what it's worth--I started with PPD, failed it twice, and passed PDD on my second shot at it.


I agree, after some research it seems the consensus is to take them close together ... although i will take PPD first :)
ArchFaction
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:58 pm

Re: 5.0 exam order?

Postby Sarcasmo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:58 am

ArchFaction -- Cloudyy is pretty much spot on.

I'd also think about a time strategy for your studying. Sounds like you know how to pass exams. Obviously, you don't want to fly into the exam unprepared -- but the flip side is, the law of diminishing returns definitely kicks in when a person heads toward over-studying.

Studying for both at once makes sense -- I put a little over 2 months of study in, then took PPD, then did a minor amount of additional studying and took PDD about 2 1/2 weeks later.

What materials are you planning to study?
Sarcasmo
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:55 am

Re: 5.0 exam order?

Postby ArchFaction » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:53 pm

Sarcasmo wrote:ArchFaction -- Cloudyy is pretty much spot on.

I'd also think about a time strategy for your studying. Sounds like you know how to pass exams. Obviously, you don't want to fly into the exam unprepared -- but the flip side is, the law of diminishing returns definitely kicks in when a person heads toward over-studying.

Studying for both at once makes sense -- I put a little over 2 months of study in, then took PPD, then did a minor amount of additional studying and took PDD about 2 1/2 weeks later.

What materials are you planning to study?


I usually grab all the books listed on the NCARB list, and also something like kaplan or ballast, also anything listed on this website.... i make a list and check all the chapters and areas i need to hit, i give it 3 weeks per exam. I feel most likely if you have made it this far and got two exams left in 5.0 you have covered the bulk of it and know how to target areas. One of the best pieces of advice i ever got off this website was 'don't over study'.
What were your results for PPD and PDD? What have been your study materials and strategy?
I am just trying to figure out if i need to realign my strategy for this exam...or i could continue using all the 4.0 study materials and strategies.
ArchFaction
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:58 pm

Re: 5.0 exam order?

Postby Sarcasmo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:46 am

Archfaction --
I used essentially nothing but ARE5.0 Handbook materials for the all 6 exams in 5.0.
I went 6 for 6.
As has been said -- this site has been a great resource for 4.0 and caters very well to those candidates, but the 5.0 part of this website has yet to catch up. Undoubtedly, it will over time.
I think your study approach looks solid -- my suggestion would be that you also read the PPD/PDD threads on the Ncarb 5.0 forum. Advice from bunch of people who have already completed what you are now looking to do. Many people have posted lengthy strategies of their successes.
As far as the 4.0 materials -- those are probably a good secondary resource. I'm sure some candidates have passed PPD/PDD reading only 4.0 materials, but that is undoubtedly not the norm. I'd hit the handbook first -- the Ncarb 5.0 forum is great for paring down some essential handbook study materials for each exam -- there is some general consensus what to study and what is probably not necessary from the list, which really helps since the handbook list 25 or so books.
Good luck with your studying.
Sarcasmo
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:55 am

Re: 5.0 exam order?

Postby ArchFaction » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:53 pm

Sarcasmo wrote:Archfaction --
I used essentially nothing but ARE5.0 Handbook materials for the all 6 exams in 5.0.
I went 6 for 6.
As has been said -- this site has been a great resource for 4.0 and caters very well to those candidates, but the 5.0 part of this website has yet to catch up. Undoubtedly, it will over time.
I think your study approach looks solid -- my suggestion would be that you also read the PPD/PDD threads on the Ncarb 5.0 forum. Advice from bunch of people who have already completed what you are now looking to do. Many people have posted lengthy strategies of their successes.
As far as the 4.0 materials -- those are probably a good secondary resource. I'm sure some candidates have passed PPD/PDD reading only 4.0 materials, but that is undoubtedly not the norm. I'd hit the handbook first -- the Ncarb 5.0 forum is great for paring down some essential handbook study materials for each exam -- there is some general consensus what to study and what is probably not necessary from the list, which really helps since the handbook list 25 or so books.
Good luck with your studying.


Thank you so much for your insight, this gives me some courage moving forward. :)
ArchFaction
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:58 pm


Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: architerp, brownc13 and 6 guests