Encouragement = extra pressure

Encouragement = extra pressure

Postby BedeliARE » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:29 pm

Taking these exams is a big time commitment, so my friends and family know when I have one coming up, and they offer lots of encouraging statements like “you’ll be fine” and “you got this” or just asking how it went.
I appreciate all these people rooting for me, but being told “I’m sure you rocked it!” when I think I failed or don’t feel confident doesn’t actually make me feel better – they make me feel like this person is invested and if I fail, I’m disappointing them.

Anyone else feel this way? Or has the stress of exams and mental gymnastics of deciphering NCARBs wording finally broken my brain? :brick:
BedeliARE

Re: Encouragement = extra pressure

Postby rackbobo » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:45 am

BedeliARE, yes I feel the same way. I've failed multiple tests and it can be frustrating to hear others say something like those comments you mentioned. I get the same ones!
At this point, I don't share any information about my studying or when test taking dates, except to my husband. It definitely messes with me mentally!
rackbobo

Postby Sparky83 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:55 am

BedeliARE wrote:Taking these exams is a big time commitment, so my friends and family know when I have one coming up, and they offer lots of encouraging statements like “you’ll be fine” and “you got this” or just asking how it went.
I appreciate all these people rooting for me, but being told “I’m sure you rocked it!” when I think I failed or don’t feel confident doesn’t actually make me feel better – they make me feel like this person is invested and if I fail, I’m disappointing them.

Anyone else feel this way? Or has the stress of exams and mental gymnastics of deciphering NCARBs wording finally broken my brain? :brick:

They mean well. Take it in the spirit they intended.
Sparky83

Postby mbkarp » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:06 pm

Yes, I felt the same way. "You will do great" will not help you when you are staring at a question that you can only know if you happened to study that specific topic. It is however the only way that a non-architect/'person who has taken the exams' can help. While they might add extra pressure, they will be there for you if you fail and will certainly be excited if you pass, in fact some of these people will be the first you tell when you pass.
mbkarp

Postby ekelsey15 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:07 pm

Be happy that someone says something at all. Only my parent and my wife remember enough to wish me luck.. My friends don't really know that I'm testing nor could they care less if I pass or not. The only people who will really understand are the other people sitting in the exam next to you. Take any little bit of encouragement as proof that they know what's going on in your life..
ekelsey15

Postby AREMC » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:44 pm

hah - feel the same way. I no longer tell anyone when i am testing lol
AREMC

Postby Quigaboo » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:30 am

Who cares what other people think if you pass or fail. Once you pass them all and you start your own practice raking in 200k+ a year, you will forget all about the exams! Just keep your eye on the prize and don't even discuss the exams unless it is with peers or colleagues.
Quigaboo

Postby rwwon » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:54 pm

Quigaboo wrote:start your own practice raking in 200k+ a year.

:lol:
rwwon

Postby vjam » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:14 am

ekelsey15 wrote:Be happy that someone says something at all. Only my parent and my wife remember enough to wish me luck.. My friends don't really know that I'm testing nor could they care less if I pass or not. The only people who will really understand are the other people sitting in the exam next to you. Take any little bit of encouragement as proof that they know what's going on in your life..

Ekelsey15,
It's one thing if no one knows you are studying and testing. It's a whole different thing if they Do know and Don't Care. They could not care less about your success? Wow, you may really need to reconsider who your "friends" are...sounds like you need better friends! No harm or insult meant, I'm just astonished... :shock:

Vjam
vjam

Postby ekelsey15 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:16 pm

Well let me state that they are my friends by marriage mostly, but yes I know..
ekelsey15

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION