Really, really frustrated

Really, really frustrated

Postby Natalie901 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:33 am

At what point does one say, "This isn't for me".....?

I'm REALLY frustrated with ncarb and the exam scoring. I've taken (and failed) PPP 3 times now. THREE! I've passed every single section more than once, just not all on the same exam. I have NEVER left prometrics without thinking "WTF kind of questions were those??" PPP is pretty straightforward with an obviously large amount of material to study. After my 2nd time failing I locked myself away for weeks and made damn sure I knew everything. I read everything I could get my hands on (many, many hundreds of pages of study guides, books, etc)...and I had about 25 questions that were absolutely ABSURD and irrelevant to the protection of the health, safety, and welfare of the people.
Their "study guides" are LAUGHABLE in comparison to the actual exam questions. I didn't realize I also had to have a law degree in order to pass PPP.

I feel like there is no moral ground ncarb is having to hold. Some of the questions they ask are just downright offensive and really frustrating for those who put their lives on hold for months in hopes of passing. Where's the accountability, ncarb?

Sorry for the negativity. I'm just really at a loss. I've only passed one other exam (SD which I realize is the easiest) so maybe I'm just not cut out for this? Does anybody have a similar story and they shifted focus onto other exams and came back to dominate PPP/CDS?
Natalie901

Re: Really, really frustrated

Postby Sparky83 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:43 am

PPP tends to be a "catch all" exam. Many people take it last because the study for all the other sections prepares them for PPP.
Sparky83

Postby Natalie901 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:50 am

I've already paid for CDS next month, but besides that what do you recommend taking next? I'll probably save PPP for a later exam now, despite wasting $630 on it :(

I'm thinking
CDS (because its paid for)
SPD
SS
BS
BCDS
PPP?
but then it's so random to have PPP at the end. Maybe I'll pass CDS and gain some confidence back, do PPP and proceed with SPD through BCDS
Natalie901

Postby wachant » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:50 am

Don't feel bad. I've passed every other exam already. But I've failed CDS 4 times, again with plenty of WTF questions. Will retake again in March long after the holidays. (a lady friend mandates Valentines day as a continuation of the holidays :oops: )

It is bs though. And you can see why on their latest annual report. NCARB entries tanked up until they did the 3 attempts@2months rule change. Think they did that because it was about [paraphrased] "easier access to more test questions that can be thrown into the pot" or do you think it was because they discouraged so many people that they were hemorrhaging cash?

The change suddenly gives everyone hope, BUT now perhaps it's too easy to pass. So they ramp up the difficulty to keep everyone utilizing all their attempts. IMO
wachant

Postby TTas » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:17 am

Natalie901 wrote:I've already paid for CDS next month, but besides that what do you recommend taking next? I'll probably save PPP for a later exam now, despite wasting $630 on it :(

I'm thinking
CDS (because its paid for)
SPD
SS
BS
BCDS
PPP?
but then it's so random to have PPP at the end. Maybe I'll pass CDS and gain some confidence back, do PPP and proceed with SPD through BCDS

I would do BDCS before SS and BS. There are a lot lot of BDCS info in SS and BS. you will make your life easier. On another hand, there will be random BS questions in BDCS. I got lighting questions from BS
TTas

Postby iDefy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:04 pm

I feel your pain Natalie901, I was in the same boat around 2012. I failed PPP, SPD, multiple times and to boost my confidence took SD which established my rolling clock. CDS was next pass in first attempt, that gave me some ground to stand on. SPD and PPP pass followed. For the rest of the three, it was like the second phase of struggle. I took them multiple times which gave me a knowledge to pass BDCS, and then SS. Now BS is locked until March for me since I failed it three times in a year. I guess one day I'll kill that too.
You are not alone. We all feel the same way. I suggest you stick with the PPP, SPD, CDS trio and deal with the other three next. Good Luck.
iDefy

Postby rackbobo » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:27 pm

I've failed PPP three times too. I can retake in March, but I have other exams to take. My clock runs out in November for SD. I feel it ticking........
rackbobo

Postby jokermtb » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:50 am

My take on the exams, is that cramming your head with 'everything' is the worst way to pass " I read everything I could get my hands on".

Minimize your study materials (I liked the giant Ballast ARE study guide - and Archiflash), so you can absorb the bigger picture. PPP is all about the big picture, and tests you on how the process works, not so much the ingredients. So, if you are studying to remember terms that describe ever component of PPP you will continue to fail - for you have not studied how all those parts work together and what areas of PPP occur before/after the design process. If you've worked in the field for a while, you naturally get a feel for this - perhaps you need more practical work experience in order for PPP study stuff to truly sink in?
jokermtb

Postby fls6b » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:57 am

I've been in your shoes. PPP is a difficult section, in that many questions are pooled from other subjects. Review your study material, and if you suspect that any of your sources are outdated, then replace them with newer material. Examine your study routine, energy level, amount of distraction and even the area that you study in. You must be well rested and have very little distraction when you study for all of the sections.

In addition to your study material, make sure you take practice tests (especially the ARE guide, as the format of the exam will follow the style of questions found in the guide), and use any study notes that are available.

Good luck and be persistent in your pursuit of passing the exam.
fls6b

Postby Quigaboo » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:41 pm

Natalie901 wrote:At what point does one say, "This isn't for me".....?

I'm REALLY frustrated with ncarb and the exam scoring. I've taken (and failed) PPP 3 times now. THREE! I've passed every single section more than once, just not all on the same exam. I have NEVER left prometrics without thinking "WTF kind of questions were those??" PPP is pretty straightforward with an obviously large amount of material to study. After my 2nd time failing I locked myself away for weeks and made damn sure I knew everything. I read everything I could get my hands on (many, many hundreds of pages of study guides, books, etc)...and I had about 25 questions that were absolutely ABSURD and irrelevant to the protection of the health, safety, and welfare of the people.
Their "study guides" are LAUGHABLE in comparison to the actual exam questions. I didn't realize I also had to have a law degree in order to pass PPP.

I feel like there is no moral ground ncarb is having to hold. Some of the questions they ask are just downright offensive and really frustrating for those who put their lives on hold for months in hopes of passing. Where's the accountability, ncarb?

Sorry for the negativity. I'm just really at a loss. I've only passed one other exam (SD which I realize is the easiest) so maybe I'm just not cut out for this? Does anybody have a similar story and they shifted focus onto other exams and came back to dominate PPP/CDS?

PPP is a tough one, but I think you may be approaching it wrong. Reading is not what the tests are about. It is about understanding and absorbing the information. I failed PPP my first time around. I had a similar outlook on the exam I took after I failed. I could not comprehend why I was being asked so many of the questions and how they applied to me and the practice. However once I learned how to study again, I started passing. Even thou I had prepared and failed PPP, I decided to take PPP 5th. After developing good preparation techniques and learning how to approach determining what I thought was the best answer to each question, I found PPP somewhat easy the 2nd time around. I only studied for 1 week on my second try at PPP and passed. I believe in the concept of studying as much relevant information as possible in a short period of time. Other than SS, I only studied for one week for each exam once I learned how to prepare.

Take a step back, move on to other exams so you do not fixate on the fails. Creat goals and stick to them. After starting off with a fail in Botha CDs and PPP, I told myself I was not going to fail another. I would only scheduled my exams a few weeks apart and set aside quality study time every day. I put everything else in my life on hold and made the exam my priority. And yes I had a wife, 2 kids, worked full time for a firm and also had clients of my own. I had a full plate, but made the exam my #1 priority.

Good luck!
Quigaboo

Postby greek22 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:49 am

Quigaboo wrote: PPP is a tough one, but I think you may be approaching it wrong. Reading is not what the tests are about. It is about understanding and absorbing the information. I failed PPP my first time around. I had a similar outlook on the exam I took after I failed. I could not comprehend why I was being asked so many of the questions and how they applied to me and the practice. However once I learned how to study again, I started passing. Even thou I had prepared and failed PPP, I decided to take PPP 5th. After developing good preparation techniques and learning how to approach determining what I thought was the best answer to each question, I found PPP somewhat easy the 2nd time around. I only studied for 1 week on my second try at PPP and passed. I believe in the concept of studying as much relevant information as possible in a short period of time. Other than SS, I only studied for one week for each exam once I learned how to prepare.

Take a step back, move on to other exams so you do not fixate on the fails. Creat goals and stick to them. After starting off with a fail in Botha CDs and PPP, I told myself I was not going to fail another. I would only scheduled my exams a few weeks apart and set aside quality study time every day. I put everything else in my life on hold and made the exam my priority. And yes I had a wife, 2 kids, worked full time for a firm and also had clients of my own. I had a full plate, but made the exam my #1 priority.

Good luck!

I've also failed PPP twice and I'm preparing to take my third try in a month. Qugaboo, how did you prepare differently your second time around? You mentioned that you developed good preparation techniques and a different way of studying. I feel like this is what I'm lacking and if I find a good working pattern I can finally pass one of these exams..Please advise! Thank you!
greek22

Postby Quigaboo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:29 am

greek22 wrote:
Quigaboo wrote: PPP is a tough one, but I think you may be approaching it wrong. Reading is not what the tests are about. It is about understanding and absorbing the information. I failed PPP my first time around. I had a similar outlook on the exam I took after I failed. I could not comprehend why I was being asked so many of the questions and how they applied to me and the practice. However once I learned how to study again, I started passing. Even thou I had prepared and failed PPP, I decided to take PPP 5th. After developing good preparation techniques and learning how to approach determining what I thought was the best answer to each question, I found PPP somewhat easy the 2nd time around. I only studied for 1 week on my second try at PPP and passed. I believe in the concept of studying as much relevant information as possible in a short period of time. Other than SS, I only studied for one week for each exam once I learned how to prepare.

Good luck!

I've also failed PPP twice and I'm preparing to take my third try in a month. Qugaboo, how did you prepare differently your second time around? You mentioned that you developed good preparation techniques and a different way of studying. I feel like this is what I'm lacking and if I find a good working pattern I can finally pass one of these exams..Please advise! Thank you!

Everyone prepares different. On every exam other than BS & SS, I followed the same routine.
1. Take both Kaplan and Ballast practice exams prior to studying and fail them miserably.
2. Completely read Ballast
3. Take the Equals ARE (Mitalski) practice exams.
4. Read Kaplan. I found a lot of issues with Kaplan with wrong information but had 13 years of office experience at that time so was able to recognize the errors.
5. Take the Equals exams again. This time really researching the answers for the ones I got incorrect. While I never really had identical questions, I had similar ones at times so the thorough understanding of the test questions help me find the correct answers. I helped me determine a lot of incorrect answers on the test to help me determine the correct ones.
6. Take the Ballast and Kaplan practice exams again hoping for a passing rate (which did not always happen

I found the vignettes very easy so would only do the practice vignettes once or twice.

Certain exams required some additional resources:

BS - I only took the Amber seminar live and thumbed through MEEB for about 2 hours. No other study or prep as that class completely prepared me.
SS - Took the Thaddeus seminar live. Professor gave us a lot of info to study post class and followed his recommendations exactly. Also included the equals practice test.
CDS - Along with the 6 above, I also listened to the Schiff Hardin lectures multiple times to get a good understanding of contracts.
SPD - Did not study at all. After taking PPP and CDS, I took the practice exams for SPD the day a took CDS and passed with flying colors. Took that test a week later
SD - Again no study since it is graphic only. Did the practice vignettes the day before the exam. As it is the easiest I saved it for last.

Ultimately I found that intense studying for 1 week was way more beneficial than only reading for an hour a day during the week and 2-3 hours a day on the weekend and then waiting 6 weeks to study and test. I spent 4-5 hours a night during the week and 10-12 hours a day on the weekend. I would prep for about 8 days per exam other that SS because of all the material I was trying to absorb and the fact that the testing facility was booked for about 4 weeks. I am not the smartest guy in the world by any means and always found I was a terrible test taker. But since I decided to not test for 12 years and wasted a lot of my time, I was super motivated and aggressive. I made the exams my priority. Waiting between the Amber Seminar and the Thaddeus seminar slowed me down as I waited 2 months and did nothing between. I personally feel that if someone is serious, these tests could easily be done in 3 months or less. It is not as bad as people think and make it out to be. From the first test I passed to completion, it was 7 months almost to the day. Definitely could have been less.
Quigaboo

Postby rwwon » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:28 am

Some great advice in this thread!

I think one other item I would look at, which has helped me tremendously, is how you use the practice exams. I used to sit down and just blow through them, then look at all the answers when finished. That was an O.K. method. But then I started going through one question at a time, checking each answer immediately after each question. If I got it wrong or didn't understand, I would go research it and study up the answer right then and there. Doing it this way helped me to really get the most out of each question, since taking a test over and over loses its value as you remember the answer while not necessarily remembering why its that answer. This process takes a lot longer (sometimes 4-5 hours for just one practice test) but it helped me to retain the information much better, plus I was having to apply this information through case study like questions, which is why I love practice tests. Some might argue you need to simulate "test taking time" by answering them all quickly. I wouldn't worry about that until later in the study process.

Just my two cents
rwwon

Postby gumption » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:07 am

PPP was so incredibly intuitive. This was my first pass, which I got on my first try. You really have to read the questions carefully and process the info, then make some inferences.

The study material out there can be quite conceptual, I think. The Caroline's & Jenny's notes were the most useful to me, regarding "Programming" and "Planning". Find imagery and graphic notes if you can... maybe Frank Ching's stuff?

I didn't really delve into AHPP. I dove into PPP right after taking CDS and the overlapping material on "Practice" was still fresh in my mind.
gumption

Postby tatamin » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:30 am

Good advice to read. Thank you!
tatamin

Postby greek22 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:26 am

Great advice here. I need to take a different approach this time around. Its so easy to be "zoomed in" that I need to take a step back and have a better understanding of concepts rather than memorizing every single term and definition. Thank you all!!
greek22

Postby skyhook » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:37 pm

The frustration is understandable and most of us mortals have similar stories of one exam or another
which captured us for a season or two or three...etc. At some point - and many times without rhyme or reason - we pass the rat bastard and move on. If we're lucky, architecture is a passion and one we embrace, but it need not be our identity. In other words, if architecture was taken away... would we still be whole ? If the answer is "yes", than white knuckling during the exams eases a bit...at least in my experience. WTF moments as an architect significantly eclipse the frustrating arena of the a ARE ; the stakes are higher. Consider wtf exams as the appetizer to gauge your palate for the entree still simmering in the kitchen. Keep sending the waiter - NCARB - back til they get your order right.
skyhook

Postby sbyrktct » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:46 am

skyhook wrote:Keep sending the waiter - NCARB - back til they get your order right.

It's too bad that they seem to really enjoy spitting in your soup.
sbyrktct

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION