Got my license back in July....still no change in job.

Got my license back in July....still no change in job.

Postby Architeer » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:54 pm

I received my license back in July. I never expected to get a raise the next day, next week, or even next month, but I haven't seen anything of it even now. Last year when we had evaluations I asked for more responsibility given that I had MUCH more responsibility at my previous job. The answer I was told was "it takes time". I have about 5.5 years of post college arch experience and did project managing at my previous job but nothing like it at my current job.

I've never been one to openly ask for money EVER, and that's why I wanted more responsibility so I could earn my bump for my licensure. Everyone got a cost of living increase the week after I got my license and told them at that time AND was told this bump in pay wouldn't be connected with licensure.

So what do I do? Ask again? Leave it alone? I like where I work but I'm not really learning a lot. My main task is BIM responsibilities since my firm is transitioning to it and I was at a place formally that was fully integrated, and while that has helped me get my foot in the door here I think it's hindered my advancement afterwards.

Thoughts?

And before you say "go somewhere else". There aren't many places where I'm at and moving with a young family wouldn't be ideal.
Architeer

Re: Got my license back in July....still no change in job.

Postby Quigaboo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:52 am

I generally got no response after licensure. I have worked at the same firm for almost 14 years so expected something considering my office did not contribute in any way towards my testing. I have most of the responsibilities in my office as it is a small firm and I am heavily relied on. So after 3 months of no raise, I began to focus on my side work and basically treated my boss like shit. It was VERY clear I was not happy! Literally the day I said to myself that I was going to quit, boss man come into my office and ponies up a 25k raise. (not too shabby) I would come right out and ask for it. It is business and not personal. I did not bother to ask as I had every intention on leaving. But this bump will keep me here for a little while longer until I am so busy with my practice that I have not choice but leave.

Ask for the raise, it cant hurt. If they wont give it to you, find a new job!
Quigaboo

Re: Got my license back in July....still no change in job.

Postby AggieArchitect04 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:24 pm

Are they are billing out your time to clients as an architect now? The rate for an architect is usually higher than for a project manager, though maybe not much so.

Pretty nice gig for them if they are capitalizing off of your licensure without having to pay you anything else.

It's probably worth talking to them about but it sounds like it's part of a larger discussion involving your role and future with the company and it may be appropriate to frame it in that context.

Money is not the end all, be all. But that doesn't mean it is insignificant and it should never be overlooked. Our profession requires a lot of time, energy and financial commitment. After the degrees and fees it's...a lot. Its not ridiculous to ask for there to be some reward and it's disappointing when a firm or boss does not acknowledge that effort.
AggieArchitect04

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION