Definitive answer to formulas to know

Definitive answer to formulas to know

Postby anonymous283 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:35 am

I have come across hundreds of formulas going through kaplan and ballast study material. Do we really ONLY need to know the ones ncarb has in their handbook (2nd image below)? What about IBC live load reduction formulas? What about retaining wall formulas? What about the numerous formulas you can see in the demo test (1st image below)? I'm not asking if we need to memorize these but just know how to use them - and if we do is it worth knowing how if there's only gonna be a few questions on them (seems like most people say there are few formula questions on this exam and it would require a lot of time to learn how to use all of them). Would it be enough just to know how shear and moment diagrams work and relate to each other, the handbook formulas, and basic structural terms?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anonymous283

Re: Definitive answer to formulas to know

Postby nrlina » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:00 am

I have come across hundreds of formulas going through kaplan and ballast study material. Do we really ONLY need to know the ones ncarb has in their handbook (2nd image below)? It never hurts to know more than what ncarb shows since ncarb is only giving you the minimum items of what you need. What about IBC live load reduction formulas? You have to keep in mind that you have limited amount of time to answer the questions given, so they are not going to test you on complicated formulas. They are testing you more on your knowledge on how to apply the formulas and which ones to use. What about retaining wall formulas? What about the numerous formulas you can see in the demo test (1st image below)? I'm not asking if we need to memorize these but just know how to use them - and if we do is it worth knowing how if there's only gonna be a few questions on them Those few questions you answer can be the difference between passing or failing the exam[/color](seems like most people say there are few formula questions on this exam and it would require a lot of time to learn how to use all of them). Would it be enough just to know how shear and moment diagrams work and relate to each other, the handbook formulas, and basic structural terms?You can try to see if those are enough when you take the test. Sometimes, those along with your experience may be enough. Sometimes, you need to study more.
nrlina

Return to PDD - Project Development & Documentation