Just failed PPD and taking PDD in 2 weeks

Just failed PPD and taking PDD in 2 weeks

Postby pollypocket345 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:43 am

Hi

I just took PPD and my score report says I fell just below passing level on Content area 1 (Environmental conditions & context) and Content Area 2 (Codes and Regulations).

I was surprised content area 1 got me. It has been a challenge to accept I have to go through this again.

I have questions about the format of the new 5.0. I am a transition person, with PPD and PDD left.

How precise should the calculation fill in the blank answers be? I know this is hard to answer out of context, but i wonder if there is leeway here.

And regarding the new drag and drop diagrams - does anyone have any general advice about the precision requirements for this question format? Like, i realized the night before the exam that you can rotate objects by right clicking.

I took note of some of the areas that I felt weak on, which I intend to study along with reviewing the structures calcs, Ballast 5.0, Jenny's notes. I have a meeb book, building construction illustrated, and Fundamentals of Building construction, and a steel manual for reference.

If anyone can give advice on what is most critical and helpful to study here or if I'm missing any very helpful resources I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
pollypocket345

Re: Just failed PPD and taking PDD in 2 weeks

Postby blancovero » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:31 pm

Sorry to hear you failed PDD, I did already 4 times, so please do not feel bad. It is just a test.
I also transitioned from 4.0 to 5.0 with PDD and PPD left. I finally passed PPD last week.
You can rotate the elements in the drag and drop I did it many times in the tests I took and the elements rotate.
I do not know how much is the precision in the answers, but normally they will tell you round up (or down) to the nearest whatever...
You have all the correct sources to study, do not overwhelm yourself with tons of material. I took the advice of Sarcasmo here and he is correct in the sense of focus in the material suggested by NCARB in the last pages of the handbook.
This is my last test and I am hoping to nail this in September.
Best of lucks and you have this!
blancovero

Postby pollypocket345 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:11 am

thank you blancovero.

remembering -

I am not the test

and asking -

is it possible to enjoy studying?

p
pollypocket345

Postby Sarcasmo » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:05 pm

pollypocket345

I'd say it's going to pretty hard to enjoy studying and taking exams for those experiencing multiple failures. On the other hand, for your case, it looks like your first attempt after transitioning to 5.0 was unsuccessful, but you can definitely get back on track.
I'd encourage you to look at the NCARB site and the ARE 5.0 Handbook's Top References. Don't try to approach 5.0 the same as 4.0. Yes, the profession is still basically the same! But 5.0 features a different approach to questions.

You noted "reviewing the structures calcs, Ballast 5.0, Jenny's notes..."... who recommended those? You'll find veeeery few actual structural calcs on PDD -- to the point where it's essentially not worth spending time on them beyond minimally understanding the basic formulas in the reference pages of the 5.0 handbook. You can also put your Ballast book back on the shelf -- essentially useless for PDD and PPD. Jenny's Notes -- I have them, and they were really great for 4.0 -- but not very useful for 5.0.

It will also help you immensely to look at some of the post-exam notes of successful candidates on the NCARB forum for both PDD and PPD.

To enjoy studying and the test-taking process, you need to plug into the right approach.

On a side note, I'd like to see ARE Coach get cranking again as a 5.0 essential. I'm not 100% sure why, but there does seem to be a distinct lag in test-taking and forum-posting following the end of 4.0 -- and not just on this forum.
Sarcasmo

Postby pollypocket345 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:13 pm

Dear Sarcasmo

Thank you for your advice. I have seen people say taking the Ballast exam and quizzes are helpful. Do you discourage spending time on these? The questions are helpful to get my gears turning in more active way. But if the material is irrelevant then maybe not.

Also, I saw in the ARE5 Handbook:

Objective 1.2:
Determine the size of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems and components - includes calculating the size of some system components...

Objective 1.3:
Determine the size of structural systems to meet project goals - you will need to be able to identify and develop structural systems including calculating the size of some structural components...

I wonder, what kind of sizing are they talking about? I understand the IBC has charts one can reference for structural design. I have also a vague understanding of how to use the charts in the steel manual. But as far as calculations go, I was planning to better understand shear and moment diagrams and the calculations for uniform and not uniform loads.

I suppose that is deep enough from what you are saying.

Thanks again

and good luck to everyone

p
pollypocket345

Postby blancovero » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:22 am

Pollypocket345, Sarcasmo is correct, the calculations are minimal, you have to understand diagrams, etc.
Take a deep look at the formulas provided in the Handbook, you will have those available at the test and if you know how to use them you are ok. You will have 1 or 2 questions max of calculations.
Good luck!
blancovero

Postby Sarcasmo » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:33 am

Pollypocket345 --

There are some testers who have doggedly clung to the Ballast / Kaplan / etc. approach. As I said in my other email, 10 percent of successful testers might even study the phone book and pass, but that's of little help to others. On most forums where successful candidates have done post exam write ups, most have all but dismissed the third party materials for PPD and PDD.

As far as sizing and calcs go -- again, look at the breakdown in the handbook of the exam, not only for content, but also do some quick arithmetic on how prominently each Objective figures into the entire exam. Structural represents what percentage, for example. In other words, per the handbook, the number of structural questions, for example, will only represent a range of a handful of questions, and of that handful, only a couple can be actual calculations. Therefore, my advice: Don't spend inordinate time on calculations. This goes for the MEP info as well.

Personally, MEP is my least favorite part of practice -- I'm not particularly interested in it -- I did not study MEEB -- I studied the Architects Studio Companion (GREAT book for PPD especially, get the online free pdf version -- google it), and that was it for MEP studying. I passed PPD and PDD first try, and did not feel like I was lacking at all in MEP knowledge. Understand the very basics of ALL of the formulas on the reference page in the Handbook. Beyond that, move on with other parts of your prep process.

I was planning to better understand shear and moment diagrams and the calculations for uniform and not uniform loads.
You should be fine -- that sounds like the extent of my structural calcs review.

PDD is a lot of looking at details an know what the components are and their function. Overall, if you've worked on commercial projects in an office, PDD is like that -- a little bit of everyhting that goes into putting a project together, from codes to details.
Sarcasmo

Postby pollypocket345 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:33 am

Thanks you all. I argue that this forum is still totally valid!

Heres' my plan. If you all see anything unnecessary or extra or missing please let me know!

THIS WEEK
-take a look at the free version of ASC.
-Building code illustrated - review for weak spots focusing on detail level requirements
-ADA 2010 and IBC 2018 (min. ch 3,5,6,7,8,9,29)

THIS WEEKEND
-I will focus on learning the calcs in the handbook. One day this weekend perhaps I will dedicate to this only. Meeb as backup reference.
-generally keep an eye of for, acoustical, mechanical, electrical and fireproofing info which i need more exposure to. i will use the calcs review probably as an entry point to dig in here.

NEXT WEEK
-FEMA 454 ch. 3-5 skim
-better understand shear and moment diagrams and the calculations for uniform and not uniform loads
-continue perusing Ching's Building Construction Illustrated

next wednesday get an evening massage - next thurday morning exam.

p
pollypocket345

Postby toshea13 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:49 pm

i'm now in the same boat. I just failed PPD yesterday, and have PDD in two weeks. What worked for you guys? Do you really recommend reading ASC, BCI, and IBC? I was planning on watching black spectacles (34hrs) and listening to AEP for CDS.
toshea13

Return to PDD - Project Development & Documentation