PDD Pass - 3 weeks after PPD

PDD Pass - 3 weeks after PPD

Postby kungpowchick » Tue May 22, 2018 12:29 pm

Hey Everyone,

I did a pretty detailed post on what I studied for PPD here: http://arecoach.com/coachforum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=53024 end essentially I did 3 weeks of reviewing before going into PDD.

I over-studied for PPD, and then kind of ran out of material for PDD. I was panicking because I was sure I missed something.

The only materials I added from that previous post for PDD were the FEMA wind primer, and a run-through of the Ballast PDD chapters. I then went through my notes, note cards, and reread chapters I thought I should brush up on. We also had a lunch session at work about the idea of the continuous line in securing the building envelope. That concept helped me out a lot as I puzzled through this.

This exam was hard. I had to seriously think about every question. There were several things I don't think I could have ever studied for - I just had to use problem solving and draw on my experience to figure it out. I also had several points where my brain overloaded, so I just put my head down and breathed for a minute.

If you don't have a lot of experience, make sure you take the time to thoroughly go through a set of drawings. NCARB says a big part of this exam is understanding and putting together a drawing set, and I don't know if anything other than that experience could prepare you for it. There were several points where I felt like I was at work- except I couldn't google or ask a colleague to check my answer!

Good luck! It's a doable test- just keep your eye on the prize and keep at it!
kungpowchick

Re: PDD Pass - 3 weeks after PPD

Postby Sarcasmo » Wed May 23, 2018 1:16 pm

kungpowchick -- that's awesome. Nice job.

3 weeks between them was my schedule as well -- similar to you, I'm not sure I did much during that 3 weeks that was ultimately all that productive...

I'd also agree that the exam was pretty challenging. Also similar to you, with PDD being my last exam, I definitely felt a big wave of holy $#%& with about 10 questions left... I felt some genuine stress there toward the end.... I also put my head down for a minute.... Funny, I sort of peeked at the screen between my fingers when I hit the preliminary results button!

Great job!
Sarcasmo

Postby kungpowchick » Wed May 23, 2018 1:34 pm

Funny, I sort of peeked at the screen between my fingers when I hit the preliminary results button!
[/quote]

Thanks Sarcasmo! I did the exact same thing. I closed my eyes and hit "view results" then slowly peeked through my fingers. Then I seriously cried. :? Oh well! It's all over!
kungpowchick

Postby Sarcasmo » Wed May 23, 2018 1:52 pm

Kungpowchick -- oh, I hear you. I had procrastinated taking the ARE, and it was really an overwhelming feeling to see that PASS... followed by an almost unjustifiably long period of celebration involving snooty craft beer.
Sarcasmo

Postby Anob » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:57 pm

kungpowchick

I'm a big believer of doing a lot of practice questions. Did you do any practice books?
Anob

Postby kungpowchick » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:20 am

Anob wrote:kungpowchick

I'm a big believer of doing a lot of practice questions. Did you do any practice books?

I used the Ballast Quiz's and quizzed myself with flash cards. I couldn't find a good practice exam that wasn't too expensive or just a 4.0 repackaging.
kungpowchick

Return to PDD - Project Development & Documentation