HVAC system and picking the right one to use

HVAC system and picking the right one to use

Postby max8176 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:34 pm

I am looking for material which has more specific detail in showing the different of mechanical systems and how to pick the right one to use for different climate. Also, something that is more graphical. I feel like the info from Kaplan and Ballast has too much context but doesn't really get to the point. I assume in the test will be more about picking the right system and usage?
max8176

Re: HVAC system and picking the right one to use

Postby cloudyy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:04 pm

You should study the psychometric chart and what that means in terms of heating/cooling methods for different climates (There's one in particular that has highlighted regions that say what method/strategy should be used in which area of the chart, I think it's maybe in MEEB). Also, I think Jenny's study guide has a good table of different HVAC systems which outlines the pros and cons of each method. In my experience those things will help you on the kind of questions NCARB might ask.
cloudyy

Postby Sarcasmo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:32 am

Max8176 -- have you taken PPD already? PPD is more about choosing systems -- PDD is more about specific loads, etc.

In any case -- the Architect's Studio Companion is great for HVAC comparisons... you can download an older version for free online in PDF format.
Sarcasmo

Postby max8176 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:11 pm

Sarcasmo wrote:Max8176 -- have you taken PPD already? PPD is more about choosing systems -- PDD is more about specific loads, etc.

In any case -- the Architect's Studio Companion is great for HVAC comparisons... you can download an older version for free online in PDF format.

Nope, I have not taken PPD yet. Are you saying it is more likely calculation based? I just bought a copy of the ASC.
max8176

Postby Sarcasmo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:04 pm

Max -- just saying that the calcs on PDD are more specific within a given system. I'll say this, the MEP/HVAC calcs I had on PDD were like -- well -- none. Not saying you won't have any, but they'll more than likely be very few in number.
But good call on buying the ASC -- for my it was a really a great tool for studying MEP systems. Gives an intelligent overview, without completely bogging down into the MEEB type of minutiae.
Sarcasmo

Return to PDD - Project Development & Documentation