Construction Type: Type A or Type B

Construction Type: Type A or Type B

Postby keepgoing » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:57 pm

I'm blanking a bit and need some help...

Can someone point me to where in the IBC (Chapter or etc) where there's info on Type A or Type B for a construction type?
I know that one is protected and unprotected BUT I want to find the page where it lists that difference - as of now I can't find the first mention of what "A" or "B" is.
keepgoing

Re: Construction Type: Type A or Type B

Postby Coach » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:09 pm

Chapter 6 tables.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby keepgoing » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:19 pm

Coach wrote:Chapter 6 tables.

So it's safe to assume that I choose Type A or B based on a projects need of stories/area and applicable zoning restrictions...
The designation of "A" or "B" then dictates the requirements for fire protection for the listed elements in the table 601?

Again, I know it's simple - I'm just kind of blanking out on it
keepgoing

Postby rgharvey » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:23 pm

keepgoing wrote:
Coach wrote:Chapter 6 tables.

So it's safe to assume that I choose Type A or B based on a projects need of stories/area and applicable zoning restrictions...
The designation of "A" or "B" then dictates the requirements for fire protection for the listed elements in the table 601?

Again, I know it's simple - I'm just kind of blanking out on it

Yes, this is right. You get a prompt for a 60,000sf 3 story building. You know floor to floor has to be 20'-0", so you check chapter 5 for the max height permitted for that occupancy type (lets say B) and you see that Type IIB is 55ft, but Type IIA is 65ft, so you must comply with Type IIA. You then go to Chapter 6 and see that Type IIA requires 1 hour rating for all structural elements.

In addition to this, you should be aware of maximum area permitted for the construction classification, which in this case is only 37,500sf. You have 60,000sf in your building. Need to know if an automatic sprinkler system is provided..

You're right to consider Stories AND Area, but also need to be aware of Allowable Stories Above Grade Plane.

In this case, Zoning doesn't have anything to do with your calculations for construction type. Zoning calculations determine the maximum SF available on your site (60,000sf) and happen way before anyone is talking about rating of a building.
rgharvey

Return to PDD - Project Development & Documentation