CASE STUDY STRATEGY

CASE STUDY STRATEGY

Postby JORDANARE » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:54 pm

Hi all- I would like to get some feedback on my approach to the case studies.
I know this is different for every person, but I found this part of the exam particularly challenging last time because I didn't really have an approach and time became an issue.

Right now my PDD strategy is to read the scenario, go through questions read and analyze the scenario once more and
Begin to answer questions......

Anyone else have a strategy that helps for understanding more quickly within the tight time limits?
JORDANARE

Re: CASE STUDY STRATEGY

Postby boston2017 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:13 pm

I also want to know... I took ppd yesterday and felt the same. At least vignettes were something that you can practice and prepare... I had no idea how to prepare this one...
boston2017

Re: CASE STUDY STRATEGY

Postby adamgidaszewski » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:50 pm

I took PPD last week and failed it pretty badly - I think I over-studied due to relying too heavily on the 5.0 Ballast guide.

That being said, the case study (this was my first go at it, since I transitioned from 4.0 at the start of the year and this was my first attempt at a 5.0 test) was definitely daunting.

Having not passed, it seems I'm in the same boat as you guys, but I would definitely say to 1. review the scenario but then 2. make sure you review each question and understand what they're asking

Don't even get into the other reference material until you understand what each question is asking because you can waste a lot of time scrolling through the reference material. What I did was review each question and essentially make an outline of each questions strategy I'd need to use (i.e. determine occupancy > reference plans for dimensions > make determination on or calculate 'x'). Sort of create a method for yourself to answer each specific question.

Remember, I didn't pass, but I felt that that method of approaching the case studies helped manage my time somewhat well...hope my 2 cents helps
adamgidaszewski

Return to PDD - Project Development & Documentation