RTU Placement

RTU Placement

Postby tmston2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:25 am

Can some one point me to a resource that governs rtu placement? I have looked through all bdcs, bs, googled, & bci & still cant find criteria for rtu placement?
Thanks all
tmston2

Re: RTU Placement

Postby Coach » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:43 pm

Doesn't the R stand for remote? Seems to me it can go anywhere.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby tmston2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:15 pm

It was my understanding the R in rtu stood for roof top unit.
tmston2

Postby thd7t » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:22 am

RTU's should be placed centrally, if possible, to reduce distance of main supply and return runs. Central location will frequently result in lower visibility as well. However, if noise is a factor or there is a large structural span, they may have to be located differently.
thd7t

Postby jtmack35 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:41 am

thd7t wrote:RTU's should be placed centrally, if possible, to reduce distance of main supply and return runs. Central location will frequently result in lower visibility as well. However, if noise is a factor or there is a large structural span, they may have to be located differently.

Should there be any consideration for placing the unit away from roof vents, such as the plumbing stack vent? I assume you'd want your RTU placed away from any sources of foul-smelling air, but I haven't been able to find any "best practices" in such a scenario.
jtmack35

Postby Sparky83 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:43 am

jtmack35 wrote:
thd7t wrote:RTU's should be placed centrally, if possible, to reduce distance of main supply and return runs. Central location will frequently result in lower visibility as well. However, if noise is a factor or there is a large structural span, they may have to be located differently.

Should there be any consideration for placing the unit away from roof vents, such as the plumbing stack vent? I assume you'd want your RTU placed away from any sources of foul-smelling air, but I haven't been able to find any "best practices" in such a scenario.

RTU placement usually takes priority. Plumbing vents can be moved easily.
Sparky83

Postby jtmack35 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:36 am

Sparky83 wrote:
jtmack35 wrote:

Gotcha. So for the sake of argument...let's say I'm adding a new RTU to an existing building. Plumbing vents are already installed in the roof...should I avoid them? Any kind of clearance I should shoot for? Or does the RTU still take priority?
jtmack35

Postby Coach » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:55 pm

If the unit has a fresh air intake then yes, it must be away from any bad air source (pvent, flue, exhaust, etc.). Mechanical code addresses that.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby rgharvey » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:48 am

jtmack35 wrote:
Sparky83 wrote:
jtmack35 wrote:

Gotcha. So for the sake of argument...let's say I'm adding a new RTU to an existing building. Plumbing vents are already installed in the roof...should I avoid them? Any kind of clearance I should shoot for? Or does the RTU still take priority?

I imagine that a test question would ask you to place an RTU in relation to existing elements, while also referencing a plan diagram that indicates wind direction or other environmental factors
rgharvey

Return to PDD - Project Development & Documentation