Study Strategy?

Study Strategy?

Postby mmr » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:07 pm

Hi all, I'm at a loss here. Just got my second PDD fail and I want to jump into the next retake. I'm evaluating my study plan, because I feel I've covered so much of the material- and had no trouble with PPD or the "big 3" 4.0 exams, which should be helpful to this test. The only resource I haven't used is the Amber videos, and I'm curious of they approach things differently or if it's more of the same information?

I can't imagine cramming my brain with more: properties of materials, hvac, plumbing, acoustics, wall details, foundations, CD and SPD info etc. I feel like so few questions on the exam are testing these areas. After spending on/studying Ballast (4.0), MEEB, Building Construction Illustrated, Building Codes Illustrated, AHPP, the Black Spectacles videos, ARE flash cards, 4.0 BS/BDCS/SS ballast and kaplan practice exams- not to mention studying Caroline's notes, youtube videos, links from this forum-- How much new material can there be to cover? I feel like I could give detailed lectures on refrigeration circuits by now.

What's the best way to cater this massive amount of information to the twisted questions on the ARE? I feel more like I'm lacking strategy than data. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
mmr

Re: Study Strategy?

Postby cloudyy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:00 pm

I failed PPD twice and PDD once before passing PDD. I believe my mistake with the failed exams was that I kept studying in a way that was too broad and unwieldily, perhaps you have the same problem. When I passed PDD, I decided to change my strategy to FOCUS my studies by limiting my resources. I also leaned heavy into question-type studying, i.e. Archiflash cards (see my post from my PDD pass). Good luck
cloudyy

Postby mmr » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:49 am

Thanks, that sounds like a good way to go. Does anyone have further thoughts in the Amber videos as a more focused method? Still trying to decide if I want to shell out for those.
mmr

Postby Loridan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:56 am

How much time are you studying for each test?

I used long hours for a short duration on my tests and it was a successful approach. Ex: 3 weeks/2 hrs-day/4-6 hrs-weekend/6hrs+3-4 days before
This strategy can't work for everyone because we all have busy lives. I just waited for points in my life where everything settled down.

10 months to complete 3 months of actual studying.

I found PDD to be even more about synthesizing information than any of the other tests.

You will surely pass on the next attempt. Good luck friend!
Loridan

Postby Loridan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:07 am

mmr wrote:Thanks, that sounds like a good way to go. Does anyone have further thoughts in the Amber videos as a more focused method? Still trying to decide if I want to shell out for those.

Also, I would take a day or two and think about the nature of the questions they are asking.
In other words, you may not need more studying you may just need to organize the information differently.
Thinking about the relationship between the elements instead of the elements themselves.

Sorry for such a broad answer but it is the ARE.
Loridan

Return to PDD - Project Development & Documentation