PASS

PASS

Postby cloudyy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:27 am

Took PDD yesterday morning and woke up today to a nice green PASS! I was one of the early tests so this was my free re-test, I took it before in early January.

I don't really remember the first time I took it, but reading back on my previous post I wrote the first time I took it I have a different perspective now. Between PDD and PPD I was always insecure about structures so that stuck out to me before. There is structures on this test, but (as everyone says over and over again) it's more about understanding how buildings are loaded, stressed, and work and how that translates into construction. BS questions were minimal, if any. Everything was BDCS and CDS. It's worth skimming over CD notes before this test.

The lag time is still astounding, especially on questions with pictures associated. There were so many questions which there were two correct answers, but I spent minutes reading and re-reading the wording of the question and trying to mind-read NCARB. There was one in particular which I recognized at the time was potentially a trick (??)--they asked for a certain clearance and allowed only ONE number to be inputted, which I KNEW (and confirmed later) for which there is a sometimes a range given...both numbers are legal, but one is only permissible in certain situations...so which number are you talking about NCARB...?

In studying for this test I changed my usual routine. I was much more focused. I used a LOT more questions that I had before--Archiflash cards, Ballast tests, and http://are-review.blogspot.com which helped me make my studying more productive as I understood HOW I could potentially be tested on this material. Building Construction Illustrated was (is) above and beyond all my BIBLE. The days just prior I skimmed through Jenny's notes, quickly memorized some mnemonics and dimensions to write down as soon as I sat for the test.

On to PPD! I've taken it twice already (gah so discouraging) but now with PDD under my belt I think I can really pass it this time. Am toying with the idea of taking it later this week before my vacation next week but not sure yet, will have to decide today.
cloudyy

Re: PASS

Postby vrcat25 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:00 am

Thank God!

It looks like your trick questions were minimal.

Did you encounter the pond questions and were you prepared for them? I'm still trying to figure out what the heck they want out of those question. I've yet to hear clear cut explanation from any source. Why does NCARB feel the need to make or accept so many trick questions like that??? It can only be about the money. Let's hope that $1000 is all they get from you for PPD and PDD...Actually, a little less since you were an early test taker...At least you got that...i'm $400 in after failing PPD AND PDD on my first attempt. I wouldn't be so angry if there weren't so many WTF questions on both test. Over 50% of my questions were WTF! Hopefully, there's a class action suit and they look at the questions a little closer. Some are IMPOSSIBLE>

irregardless, thanks for sharing and congrats! You must be so happy to be able to move on with your life or at least to PDD! :)
vrcat25

Postby cloudyy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:06 am

I didn't get the pond question--I thought that was only on PPD...?
cloudyy

Postby vrcat25 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:03 pm

cloudyy wrote:I didn't get the pond question--I thought that was only on PPD...?

My mistake, thought this was a pdd thread...So you still have PPD, i see. In my opinion PPD was much easier than PDD. Even though i failed both, i estimated many more bizarre questions for PDD.
vrcat25

Return to PDD - Project Development & Documentation