Soil vs. Waste Stack

Soil vs. Waste Stack

Postby 198kevin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:06 am

Apparently Ballast 5.0 has this wrong, it says a soil stack is anything that is not fecal matter and a waste stack is for fecal matter. The internet (which yes i know you can't trust the internet) seems pretty set on it being the other way around. Thoughts? Also in addition to fecal matter is it the same as black vs. grey water where food items would also be in fecal matter pipe?
198kevin

Re: Soil vs. Waste Stack

Postby vrcat25 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:43 am

You are correct. Soil is for toilets and waste is pretty much everything else (non fecal). Which page in Ballast 5.0 does it say this so that i can correct it?
vrcat25

Postby 198kevin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:44 pm

It doesn't, I'm an idiot and read my notes wrong and went on a googling spree for no reason.
198kevin

Postby kerzzo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:51 am

There are some good YoutUBe videos from blacks spectables and many others when it comes to understanding plumbing. I find these actually better than reading 300 pages...same with structures...I find that i now remember all the school trig and calcs and I am enjoying being able to calc shear and moment etc. even if the exam is likely to confuse you to make you fail when it :lol: comes to questions.
kerzzo

Postby vrcat25 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:55 am

kerzzo wrote:There are some good YoutUBe videos from blacks spectables and many others when it comes to understanding plumbing. I find these actually better than reading 300 pages...same with structures...I find that i now remember all the school trig and calcs and I am enjoying being able to calc shear and moment etc. even if the exam is likely to confuse you to make you fail when it :lol: comes to questions.

Youtube videos are great, but I would strongly suggest studying Ballast and/or Kaplan. Videos aren't enough no matter what anybody tries to tell you. Sure, pictures and videos are great, but reading and comprehension and not only important for understanding the material, but you will also need to read a large amount of information on the test and reading/studying will definitely help to prepare you. College structure notes are also a good supplement, but I would also take a look at "mike's notes" in the ARE forum and Thaddeus for structures.

198kevin wrote:It doesn't, I'm an idiot and read my notes wrong and went on a googling spree for no reason.

It was a good question...I would have thought "waste" is for fecal and "soil" would be everything else. Thanks for pointing out that the opposite is true.
vrcat25

Postby kerzzo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:02 am

vrcat25, yes, I already read all the books of course. the videos sort of summarize things at least for me...

regardless of the exam, these things do help in real life....of course NCCARb wil make sure nothing related to real life gets asked. :shock:
kerzzo

Return to PDD - Project Development & Documentation