Just tested. Some thoughts

Just tested. Some thoughts

Postby OCArch » Fri May 26, 2017 2:46 pm

Just tested my first time on PDD. I had taken the PPD test the first week it came out, expecting to just scout the test and get $100 for my time. I ended up passing but scores took so long to come out i didnt know if I should brush up on more for a PPD retake or move onto PDD . I really wish that I had taken PDD earlier, but this works out. If I dont manage to pass, Ill keep the info somewhat fresh and retake in 60 days.

That being said, I thought it was kind of a bizaare test . I have been working for over 5 years now with pretty intimate knowledge with some architecture, and a good grasp on how to study. I just couldnt get a grip on what was best to study, so I kinda did a sampler, and studied some of my highlights from when I passed CDS, PPP, SDP, and new studying for whatever people look at for BDS and BS. I had heard about studying a little of the calculations, but my impression was that if there were moment or shear diagrams that there would be some basic formulas would be provided. But the kinds of questions were pretty varied in difficulty. Some of the questions were on things that I dont even know how or where I would have studied to have to know that specific question.

I thought i was in good time, did all the MC before taking a quick break and hit the Case Studies after a quick bathroom break and stretch. The MC was going really great until i starting hitting these really weird snag questions that would trap you for 5-7 minutes on a problem with some really weird and unnecessary math just to prove that you can effectively do math.

The computer lag was attrocious. PDFs in the case studies would hang for 5-10 seconds while opening the PDFs (always to a super inconvenient resolution that blooms to 300% if you touch it) . At one point I had a wall section that I simply needed to look at tell me LOADING for over 30 seconds. With time ticking down and 75% of my time going to simply flipping around in the provided packages it was a very frustating experience. I gave myself a little over an hour and half for these 2 questions and could have easily used another 30 minutes to just figure out what PDF they wanted me to look at and then transcribe the information to a different location.

My second Case Study was needlessly complicated. I understand this is trying to make architects of us, but reading a set of plans for accuracy and evaluation is NOT something that should be against the clock. At times it felt like all you were doing was racing through a maze that the test-makers had created simply pinging in between sections, not taking a wrong turn to open up the wrong document, size, rescale and close it, just so they could reach and end point. I dont know what is a solution here, but I dont feel like its working. As bad the software was in 4.0, at least it didnt lag and you felt as if you had some semblance of control over what you were doing. Yes, I should have left more time for them, but there were some similar "gotcha" questions in the multiple choice that did the same thing.

Some of the questions and concepts were solid though. I would definitely say that studying the BDS, construction illustrated, BS stuff was the better choice. The handout reads that the second biggest concept was CDS type material so I spend my last bit of studying on that for a refresher course and it was enough. Definitely interested to see how this one shakes out, but if i pass it would be my last until the California Sup. Good luck to everyone else out there, glad I can finely enjoy the weekend.
OCArch

Re: Just tested. Some thoughts

Postby OCArch » Sun May 28, 2017 6:42 am

Wow. That was fast. Found out yesterday that I got a PASS. Not bad for a 24 hour turnaround. Thanks ARE. It's been real
OCArch

Re: Just tested. Some thoughts

Postby vrcat25 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:34 am

OCArch wrote:
My second Case Study was needlessly complicated. I understand this is trying to make architects of us, but reading a set of plans for accuracy and evaluation is NOT something that should be against the clock. At times it felt like all you were doing was racing through a maze that the test-makers had created simply pinging in between sections, not taking a wrong turn to open up the wrong document, size, rescale and close it, just so they could reach and end point. I dont know what is a solution here, but I dont feel like its working. As bad the software was in 4.0, at least it didnt lag and you felt as if you had some semblance of control over what you were doing. Yes, I should have left more time for them, but there were some similar "gotcha" questions in the multiple choice that did the same thing.

This i exactly how i felt with BOTH of my case studies...How did you like the pick a point in space or did you have any of those?
vrcat25

Return to PDD - Project Development & Documentation