Black Spectacles for PDD

Black Spectacles for PDD

Postby ENelson » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:03 am

Hi all,
I need some advice on how to prepare for PPD / PDD. I finished SPD, PPP and CDS (yay!) in 4.0 in March and am planning to transition to 5.0 for the remaining two exams. I have about 2-3 months to prepare and hope to take both PPD and PDD within a few weeks of one another, as a lot of people recommend on this forum.

Now for my question.... I am considering Black Spectacles for 5.0, in addition to my Ballast 4.0 study materials, Building Construction Illustrated, MEEB, etc. I am trying to decide if I would be better off investing in the Amber online seminars for BS content AND Mitalski for SS content, rather than Black Spectacles. I used Black Spectacles for SPD and some of PPP and didn't feel that it was very helpful, but I have read that people feel it is great for 5.0.

Any advice or input would be appreciated. Either way, the investment is pretty substantial so I want to make sure I have considered my options. Thanks in advance! :D
ENelson

Re: Black Spectacles for PDD

Postby AVITWeb » Tue May 23, 2017 2:06 pm

Honestly, I tried the Black Spectacles 5.0 for PPD and I found them amateurish and very basic. A whole lot of videos which really didn't give a whole lot of details.
I would have spent my money elsewhere, honestly.
- PS I failed...merely because I was overwhelmed with the amount of study material and settled on the BS videos. At least I know what to study for the second go round.
AVITWeb

Postby vrcat25 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:18 pm

AVITWeb wrote: At least I know what to study for the second go round.

And what would that be?? I'm taking PPD in a couple days and sure could use some last minute study tips on what to study. You said that you studies BS and not SS and BDCS? was your test balanced between the 3 or was there more focus on SS or BDCS? Thanks.
vrcat25

Postby vrcat25 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:24 pm

ENelson wrote:Hi all,
I need some advice on how to prepare for PPD / PDD. I finished SPD, PPP and CDS (yay!) in 4.0 in March and am planning to transition to 5.0 for the remaining two exams. I have about 2-3 months to prepare and hope to take both PPD and PDD within a few weeks of one another, as a lot of people recommend on this forum.

Now for my question.... I am considering Black Spectacles for 5.0, in addition to my Ballast 4.0 study materials, Building Construction Illustrated, MEEB, etc. I am trying to decide if I would be better off investing in the Amber online seminars for BS content AND Mitalski for SS content, rather than Black Spectacles. I used Black Spectacles for SPD and some of PPP and didn't feel that it was very helpful, but I have read that people feel it is great for 5.0.

Any advice or input would be appreciated. Either way, the investment is pretty substantial so I want to make sure I have considered my options. Thanks in advance! :D

I haven't taken the test yet, but i'd focus on the standard sources "MEEB", "BS", "SS", "BDCS" ARE Sample problems, Building Design Construction Illustrated and Building Codes illustrated by Ching. Also, the ARE Review Manual 4.0....That should keep you busy for the next 3 months. If you get done learning all the material in those, maybe spend your money on the third party test preps, but i really think you will find they are just a regurgitation of those sources, besides ballast...
vrcat25

Return to PDD - Project Development & Documentation