Structures content on PDD?

Structures content on PDD?

Postby architect23 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:08 pm

How far should one dive into this content? There are a lot of overwhelming details.
architect23

Re: Structures content on PDD?

Postby Zanno » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:06 am

I had a handful of structures questions on my PDD exam. I would say understanding the basic concepts of structures (ie statics, free body diagram), being able to perform basic calculations (moment, shear) and understanding how different forces affect a building (lateral and gravity) is probably enough. Also, all of the calculations you will need are provided for you under the 'resources' tab (or some name like that). I would NOT stress out a ton about structures for this exam, you'd be better off casting your study net wide and reviewing content from SPD and CDS, reviewing Building Construction systems, the 2012 IBC, etc etc as other people have indicated on this forum.

Hoping more posters chime in on this thread, as my exam experience may be different than others.
Zanno

Postby randar82 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:13 pm

I've heard varying reports - I think it depends on the selection of questions you end up getting.
randar82

Postby Barry » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:29 pm

architect23 wrote:How far should one dive into this content? There are a lot of overwhelming details.

Not far. I read the Ballast 4.0 stuff about structures but didn't spend much time trying to understand all of it. Of the few calcs I had to do, none of the Ballast stuff would have helped me anyway. Please note, the equations you need are NOT provided in a way that makes them helpful or not provided at all. NCARB says they are, but it's not true. I whiffed them, but still passed.
Barry

Return to PDD - Project Development & Documentation