Urgent help needed! Taking PDD in 7 days!

Urgent help needed! Taking PDD in 7 days!

Postby jonimperial » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:50 pm

I'm taking my shot at the "impossible". I'll sit for PDD on Feb 25. I have 7 solid days of studying. I'm going in thinking it's a practice exam. It's too good of an opportunity to learn and pass for me not to try :) I really have nothing to lose.

-What materials would you recommend me to focus on with the short time I have?
- What do you prefer? Black Spectacles or Architect Exam Prep?

My strategy is to focus on concepts & digest as much info as I could. I know I'm not gonna be 100% but at least that way I give myself the best chance of passing by being able to make an educated guess. Thank you in advance!
Last edited by jonimperial on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonimperial

Re: Urgent help needed! Taking PDD in 7 days!

Postby dklorensen » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:15 pm

I had this same approach for PPD. With the incentives, I thought what the heck. I bought the Architect's Exam Prep guide a week out. I sat for PPD on 1/30 but the server crashed that day so I didn't finish (I was on question 92/120) however, I thought it was going well and I maybe would have passed. With the AEP PPD guide, I thought there was a good (but pretty basic) level of knowledge for the value, so I bought the AEP for PDD. I don't feel it's probably a very good representation of what you should know for PDD, but at this point in the game, you should be able to read through all and have a basic level of understanding. Not nearly as in-depth as what you should know, but hey, if you've got a good background in your work experience, maybe you can pull it off.

I sit for PDD this Thursday (2/23). I've been reading an older version of Building Construction Illustrated, and it has a lot of good info in it. If you have that book, take a peek. I've also read through 4.0 BDCS and BS material. I don't feel as prepared as I should be probably, but with the incentives, it's worth a try. These last few evenings I'm going to look through 2012 IBC, probably the AEP PDD guide again, and flip through more of the BCI book I mentioned. Good luck the next few days and on exam day! :)
dklorensen

Postby jonimperial » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:41 pm

@dklorensen I actually opt to buy Black Spectacles. I'm watching it while reading through Jenny's/Ballast to confirm/understand the concepts presented. I work for a small firm so I get a lot of experience in different stages of a project. SD to CA (heavy on Construction Docs) Hopefully that helps me. I just bought Bldg Const Illust. I should have it tomorrow and I would dig deep into it.

How long did you study for PPD? and PDD?

I'm actually taking my test 2/25. I've studied 15 hours over the weekend and possible 4-5hours today-thursday and probably 8 hours friday! WOOO! :lol:

Thank for the reply and goodluck!
jonimperial

Postby randar82 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:07 pm

@dklorensen: I wouldn't spend any more time on the AED guide. I found it to be a misrepresentation of the material and expectations of the exam, especially in regards to Objective 1. The remainder of the guide (Objectives 2-5) is somehow far too general, despite being a 300+ page guide. I would say BCI is your friend and perhaps review information pertain to the SYSTEMS portions of BS and BDCS. Good Luck!
randar82

Postby dklorensen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:13 am

@jonimperial - I signed up for PPD 1/23 and tested 1/30 to get the $100 gift card. Fortunately for me NCARB announced the free retake for that test like 2 days after I signed up :D So really, I only started studying the day I signed up. Since NCARB also offered the free retake and the $100 gift card for PDD for exams taken by the end of Feb, I scheduled that test for the latest seat I could get in Feb, which is Thursday. I started studying for PDD right after PPD. So basically, I have studied for both for about 4.5 weeks. Yikes! I too work for a small firm, and get a lot of experience in all areas, so I'm hoping that helps me! Despite only studying for PPD for a week, I felt that it was going well. I feel less prepared for PDD, but we'll see how it goes! I retest for PPD on 2/27. Maybe I'm crazy taking two tests within a week, but I've read others that have, and it seems like PPD will maybe be a bit easier since I have read more for PDD (and I basically got a sneak peek on 1/30). Maybe I'll get lucky, pass both, and be DONE!

@randar82 - Thanks for the feedback! I just read your post on the review of this test, thank you! It sounds encouraging. Yes, I agree the AEP isn't the best, and I also don't feel it's probably a good representation of the actual test, it was just an easy way for me to see the broad overview since I haven't had a lot of time to dig deeply into study materials. I think I'll stick to BCI though tonight and tomorrow, flip through what I can. Fingers crossed it goes well! Good luck with your studying for your PPD re-take!
dklorensen

Return to PDD - Project Development & Documentation