Study Materials for PD&D

Study Materials for PD&D

Postby Sarcasmo » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:23 pm

Greetings, fellow 5.0 guinea pigs... ah yes... rodents into the unknown.

So, tmston2 listed these study materials (thanks, tmston2!):

• 5.0 guide
• my favorite site for past 3yrs "ARECoach *wink *wink
• my ballast review manual and question
• My kaplan material
• Kaplan Flash cards
• google
• jenny's notes

I can't really think of anything else to add to a study materials list for PD&D -- anyone have any other thoughts?
Sarcasmo

Re: Study Materials for PD&D

Postby ikaros » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:19 pm

Haven't tested 5.0 yet, but I plan to ramp up my efforts in studying over the next month or so. I've got several textbooks from college that are listed in the matrix NCARB provided. They were used to develop the test, so I can only imagine that spending a good amount of time running through them will help with knowledge & comprehension.

They are:
Fundamentals of Building Construction (Joseph Iano)
Heating, Cooling, Lighting: Sustainable Design Methods for Architects (Norbert Lechner)
Mechanical and Electrical Equipment for Buildings (various authors)

I'm thinking also of grabbing a couple Francis Ching books on Amazon:
Building Codes Illustrated
Building Construction Illustrated

I figure with a few years of practical work under my belt (having worked significantly in construction documents and construction administration the last year), and already having good study habits from my previous three exams, I can probably cobble together a good curriculum with what I have, rather than pay more money for hastily written study guides. What can they possibly say that the experts haven't already said?
ikaros

Re: Study Materials for PD&D

Postby ptzumd » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:17 pm

I took PPD a month ago and am taking PDD in a couple of days. I'm using mostly 4.0 study material in addition to the Ballast 5.0 guide, but I did open the Architect's Studio Companion last night for the first time since college and I wish I had opened it sooner. There's a lot of good stuff in there about codes, structural systems, and mechanical systems. I would recommend flipping through that book for both PPD and PDD.
ptzumd

Return to PDD - Project Development & Documentation