NCARB Sample Question 4

NCARB Sample Question 4

Postby sirspens » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:34 am

Yesterday, after finishing all of Black Spectacles and Architect Exam Prep material, I took a stab at the NCARB sample questions for PDD. I made a few stupid mistakes which I hope are more contributable to my tiredness than my incompetence, but there were a couple questions that still give me pause.

Sample Question 4:
Glass is being used for the exterior storefront system of a clothing store located in a cold climate. The client has requested that the glass be neutral in color and as transparent as possible to allow maximum visibility into the store. What type of glass should the architect specify for the storefront system?

A. Single pane, gray glass with a low-e coating
B. Double pane, insulating glass unit (IGU) with clear glass and a ceramic frit pattern
C. Double pane, insulating glass unit (IGU) with clear glass
D. Double pane, insulating glass unit (IGU) with low-iron clear glass and a low-e coating

The answer is D. I chose C. I am no glazing expert, but I have spent a good deal of time on glass specifications in my life, and I have never used or heard of "low-iron" glass. Nor have I come across it in my studies. Is this my own ignorance?

I have two thoughts about this question: (1) I really really hope it isn't representative of a good deal of the test. I don't know if I can know everything that could possibly be asked about mechanical systems, and everything that could possibly be asked about plumbing systems, and everything that could possibly be asked about electrical systems, and everything that could possibly be asked about lighting systems, and everything that could possibly be asked about every construction system specific to every climate and everything that could possibly be asked about every material that might can go into a building. That is a lot to expect. Which leads me to my second thought, (2) To some degree, you have to just study what you can and learn and remember what you can and know that you are going to have no clue about some portion of the questions, but hope that you know enough to pass.

Also, in what way does this question test a potential Architect's ability to "protect the healthy, safety and welfare of the public"? I mean, if I had a client ask for the clearest glass possible, I would just do research. Like I do almost every day of my life. To me, that is Architecture. I know enough about a LOT of things that with some research and analysis I can arrive at fitting solutions for my clients. So not only does a question like this not test what these tests are meant to be testing for, it doesn't even reflect the reality of what being an Architect is.

Am I the only person who always answers "No" to the post-exam question, "Do you believe this exam accurately tested your ability to protect the health, safety and welfare of the public?" Okay. End rant.
sirspens

Re: NCARB Sample Question 4

Postby seaccs » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:03 pm

Pretty much agree with your rant ... not trying to take anything away from it ... but really, you've never heard of low-iron glass?! Some specs (I think this is MasterSpec's default) call this out as "ultraclear" glass so maybe you're just not familiar with the low-iron terminology. Most manufacturers call it low-iron though. Check out Starphire glass from PPG, or Optiwhite from Pilkington. There are others as well...

But yes, spot on with the rant.
seaccs

Postby sirspens » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:56 pm

seaccs wrote:but really, you've never heard of low-iron glass?! Some specs (I think this is MasterSpec's default) call this out as "ultraclear" glass so maybe you're just not familiar with the low-iron terminology. Most manufacturers call it low-iron though. Check out Starphire glass from PPG, or Optiwhite from Pilkington.

Yes. I should be clear, I was not familiar with the terminology. When I looked it up I was like, "Oh, like Starphire. Okay."
sirspens

Postby dvieira » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:12 pm

Is there an explanation as to why a Low-E Coating would be preferred to the IGU without? I don't work much in cold climates but my intuition leads me to believe you would not want to cut down on the solar heat gain potential of the glass with a coating. Also, the visibility through the water clear, low-iron glass may be compromised by the shade or reflective nature of the coating.
dvieira

Postby AVITWeb » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:27 am

I would assume that you want to lower the heat gain enough so that you don't end up creating condensation either in the air cavity or on the warm side of the glass. You definitely don't want that glass heating up uncontrolled.
AVITWeb

Return to PDD - Project Development & Documentation