Black Spectacles PDD Study Videos

Black Spectacles PDD Study Videos

Postby sirspens » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:05 pm

The entire series is 34 hours and 15 minutes long. That is a LOT of video. That is more video than his 4.0 SD, BS, SS & BDCS combined. Objective 1.2, which is MEP, is around 9 hours long. Objective 1.3, which is structural systems, is around 7 hours long. The rest of Sections 2, 3, 4 & 5 take about 14 hours all together.

I am about 1/3 the way through. I have jumped around a bit because I wanted to spend my weekend doing 1.2 and 1.3. I just finished 1.2 and I will be doing 1.3 tomorrow.

The NCARB description of Objective 1.2: "Determine the size of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems and components to meet project goals. You must also be aware of related building systems to identify and develop mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems, including calculating the size of some system components, based on system type, system requirements, programmatic requirements, and other factors."

Sizing systems is mentioned twice in that description. Here's the thing. After 9 hours of studying, I don't know anything more about sizing MEP systems that I did before I started. I'm going to be honest here, I started off knowing pretty much nothing about sizing MEP systems. I know to leave 8" above the ceiling for lights. I typically leave 24" for my mechanical engineer for ductwork. I typically leave about 24" for structure for the ~30' spans I usually work with, and hope for it to come out at 21". That is what I went in knowing. I don't know how to size a duct. I don't know how to size a mechanical system. I don't know how to size a supply or waste pipe. I don't know how to size a wire for a certain capacity.

I think maybe that's not good?

I will give you an update after I go through 1.3 tomorrow and let you know if I can size a column or a truss.
sirspens

Re: Black Spectacles PDD Study Videos

Postby sirspens » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:18 pm

Jenny's Building Systems Notes to the rescue, by the way. With the basics laid out from Black Spectacles, it took about 2 hours of skimming through Jenny's notes to figure out the basics of sizing for MEP components and systems.
sirspens

Postby sirspens » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:44 pm

I just finished Objective 1.3 from Black Spectacles. Very much like 1.2, it is a good overview of major structural systems with some good digging into details. But, also like 1.2, there is no math.

To get back to NCARB, Objective 1.3: "Determine the size of structural systems to meet project goals. You will need to be able to identify and develop structural systems, including calculating the size of some structural components based on the system type, system requirements, programmatic requirements, and other factors."

So, yeah... I think that's not good.

I should also note, that while he offers a good overview of MOST structural systems, he mentioned NOT WORD ONE about structural steel trusses. Not one word. How do you manage that? He literally said, "I don't think there will be many questions regarding wood light framing..." but then spent around an hour and a half on the subject. But didn't even mention structural steel trusses!
sirspens

Postby tmston2 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:28 pm

After taking my first 5.0 exam, im confident studying 4.0 material can result in a pass (that and I dont want to pay any more $$$ for study material). that said, i will stick to:
• 5.0 guide
• my favorite site for past 3yrs "ARECoach *wink *wink
• my ballast review manual and question
• My kaplan material
• Kaplan Flash cards
• google
• jenny's notes
tmston2

Postby sirspens » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:04 pm

tmston2 wrote:After taking my first 5.0 exam, im confident studying 4.0 material can result in a pass (that and I dont want to pay any more $$$ for study material). that said, i will stick to:
• 5.0 guide
• My kaplan material
• Kaplan Flash cards
• google
• jenny's notes

Don't forget YouTube! There are some really good structures tutorials on YouTube.
sirspens

Postby tmston2 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:33 am

^ You are very much correct.
Wish me success, I test Project documentation sunday!
tmston2

Postby sirspens » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:35 pm

tmston2 wrote:^ You are very much correct.
Wish me success, I test Project documentation sunday!

The more I study of this, I feel like if you do Architecture, you can pass this test. 50% of it (Sections 2 &3) are basically "Do Construction Documents good." So, if you can kick ass on that, you can literally get away with knowing like half of everything else and probably still pass. (In a "my goal is to pass" mindset.)

That said, good luck!
sirspens

Postby rh33480 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:31 pm

tmston2 wrote:After taking my first 5.0 exam, im confident studying 4.0 material can result in a pass (that and I dont want to pay any more $$$ for study material). that said, i will stick to:
• 5.0 guide
• My kaplan material
• Kaplan Flash cards
• google
• jenny's notes

Amen to that!
rh33480

Postby eoanna » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:14 pm

Did you end up passing? Do you recommend Black Spectactacles or would you stick to 4.0 material and youtube?
eoanna

Return to PDD - Project Development & Documentation