Failed Again!

Failed Again!

Postby bdaniel_877 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:09 pm

Hey all! For some reason, this exam keeps tripping me up. I had passed through all the exams pretty easily, transitioning from 4.0 to 5.0.

I had studied through all the standard testing material for the PDD (Ching, MEEB, Ballast, Black Spectacle) using Ballast test prep questions and others but just got my result and I failed again.

Any advice for someone who is struggling to figure out this exam?
bdaniel_877

Re: Failed Again!

Postby thd7t » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:16 am

bdaniel, Here are a few things I found helpful:
-Flashcards. Archiflash has cards that include a lot of concept information as well as answers. They were a great way to find weak areas.
-FEMA's earthquake guidelines. I had several questions answered by these. They're easy reading and solid gold. I think there are only two chapters you need.
-Fundamentals of Building Construction/Building Construction Illustrated. I went through these looking for areas that I was weak in. Particularly helpful were span tables and information about bricks and mortar.
-The Architect's Studio Companion. This is available free online and has a run through of mechanical systems that is easier to use than MEEB.
-DesignerHacks. This is just another set of practice questions, but they're broken up by area, so you can get a grasp on your weak points.
-Youtube. I found youtube videos better for electrical and lighting than any written information.

Don't be afraid to use old materials. The test content hasn't changed since at least ARE 3.1. Old NCARB guides and other materials are free/cheap and super helpful.
thd7t

Postby bdaniel_877 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:41 am

Thanks thd7t, I will look into those. It is always frustrating when you are so close.

I saw some questions from MEEB so it was good that I looked through that.
bdaniel_877

Postby Melon Panda » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:37 am

thd7t wrote:bdaniel, Here are a few things I found helpful:
-Flashcards. Archiflash has cards that include a lot of concept information as well as answers. They were a great way to find weak areas.
-FEMA's earthquake guidelines. I had several questions answered by these. They're easy reading and solid gold. I think there are only two chapters you need.
-Fundamentals of Building Construction/Building Construction Illustrated. I went through these looking for areas that I was weak in. Particularly helpful were span tables and information about bricks and mortar.
-The Architect's Studio Companion. This is available free online and has a run through of mechanical systems that is easier to use than MEEB.
-DesignerHacks. This is just another set of practice questions, but they're broken up by area, so you can get a grasp on your weak points.
-Youtube. I found youtube videos better for electrical and lighting than any written information.

Don't be afraid to use old materials. The test content hasn't changed since at least ARE 3.1. Old NCARB guides and other materials are free/cheap and super helpful.

I wonder if we need to use Olin's Construction instead of Fundamentals of Bldg Const or BCI for PDD? I thought Fundamentals of Bldg Const is for PPD according to the NCARB 5.0 Handbook.

-MP
Melon Panda

Postby bdaniel_877 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:40 am

I think both of those books are good references according to the NCARB 5.0 Handbook; but can't hurt to try both.
bdaniel_877

Return to PDD - Project Development & Documentation