Testing complete

Testing complete

Postby cbunal » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:46 pm

PPD was my last test with a PASS. I transitioned from 4.0 with CDS, PPP and SPD completed. On top of the mountain of info NCARB recommends I used Architect Exam Prep, Amber Books and Hyperfinearchitecture. Ben at Hyperfinearchitecture has a list of recommended books and those are pretty spot on, especially the Studio companion and graphic standards. It's also worth signing up and getting thru his "assignment."
I encountered the struggles with the questions others in the forum have so I'd just be repeating but this one was heavy on code references. However, my strategy is to read the question and take 7-17 seconds (Professor Steven O'Hara!) before I look at the answers and work at eliminating choices. At about 50 minutes left I was thru the test and went back to the marked questions, to my surprise only 6, and finished with 27 min. left. I did not use that time go back and review any questions! I believe the incorrect answers you've been reading on every question for the last 4 hours can play a part in second guessing all the questions you've made solid decisions on so no going back if there's time. Another thing that could trip you up, in the ARE handbook it states case study "questions do not build on each other based on previous responses." Just an FYI. Good luck and thank you to the individuals who have shared their experiences and info on this forum.
cbunal

Re: Testing complete

Postby greek22 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:44 am

Congratulations on finishing all your exams! Right in time for the new year! I would like to ask you for some more information on hyperfine. I purchased it yesterday and would like to know how you used it. Did you follow Ben's assignments week to week or did you do them all in a specific order or only the questions you struggled with? Would like some more feedback on how you incorporated it with your study schedule. Thanks in advance! And congrats again!
greek22

Postby cbunal » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:29 pm

Sure greek22. I quickly reviewed all the Hyperfine Assignments when I signed up and worked thru/researched the ones I felt least familiar with. Ben attaches links and/or videos he made to further explain the questions. There's plenty of additional info on the internet for further explanation. I agreed with the Cost Estimating questions he has, it's not easy to prepare for those. I used RSMeans: https://www.rsmeans.com/EcommerceSite/m ... -Costs.pdf and followed the explanation how square foot project size modifier work. I walked thru each assignment in order, it took a couple of days when I found time but was worth it. I wouldn't use one single source to study for these exams. There seems to be an anything goes with the questions so try and understand the different layers of info and draw on your project experiences. My studies in college were also on target for many of the questions as well. Happy New Year everyone, it was worth the long nights and early mornings juggling family and work to get thru this. My firm was very supportive and I'm grateful for that.
cbunal

Postby greek22 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:21 pm

Thank you for your insight! I appreciate your help!
greek22

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design