Help

Help

Postby ayoitsjoco » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:01 pm

Hi There, passed the 4.0 Big Three and transitioned. Took both PPD and PDD within a week of each other after 3 months of studying 4.0 materials maybe 6 hours a week
Last edited by ayoitsjoco on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ayoitsjoco

Re: Failed with 4.0 Materials Twice-- Help

Postby Sarcasmo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:18 am

ayoitsjoco, sorry to hear of your results.

Read the thread titled 5.0 Study Materials in General Discussion for my opinion on approach to 5.0 and reference materials.

The transition from 4.0 to 5.0 has many layers -- people, places and things are all affected. Although the 3 + 2 is a remarkable option, and a pretty large group of testers have now successfully passed the ARE via this 3 + 2 option, I really do not envy the majority of those candidates attempting it. It is definitely a transition, and often a tough one. While -- of course -- the profession and technical information remain the same, there are definitely differences between the 4.0 and 5.0 exams.

I also don't see those candidates applying strictly 4.0 methods to 5.0 typically having great results, which it appears that you've done. To give it to you fairly straight, you're either getting some less than great advice on what to study, or you're ignoring the information and advice given on the NCARB site and in the ARE5.0 Handbook. As I say, read my 5.0 Study Materials thread for my opinion.

Like a lot of "transitioners", you've focused on materials other than those given to you straight from NCARB.

Of course, no one can say that third-party resources have no value, but they should not be your primary study resource.
Sarcasmo

Re: Failed with 4.0 Materials Twice-- Help

Postby drummer03 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:20 am

I would refer to references listed on the ARE guide and stop relying more on Third party sources/notes etc.. You might have some of them but already:
-Architectural Studio Companion
-Building Constructions Illustrated
-Building Codes Illustrated
-Architectural Graphic Standards
You might also want to consider the MEEB (long read, skim through it) and the Sun, Wind, Light Book.
I failed PPD a few months ago after using Ballast and Arch prep. In my opinion they did not help at all. The sources mentioned above have been getting praised by everyone who has passed. I would the third party sources just for practice test and to feel how much you know.
I plan to take PPD in early march and taking PDD soon after that. So far in my studies I have found these primary sources are more relevant and they also relate to the PDD test. So in a sense I am studying for both.
drummer03

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design