Exam Timing.

Exam Timing.

Postby ArchFaction » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:04 pm

I am still trying to wrap my head around timing of questions and case studies .. how are people approaching this item? How much time are you allotting for the case studies, MC questions and question review?
ArchFaction

Re: Exam Timing.

Postby thd7t » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:59 am

You are just allotted a general lump of time. People select different ways to go through the exam, but because the 20-ish case study questions are each worth the same amount as any other question, I left the case studies until the end (on PA, haven't taken PPD, yet). I figured that if I run out of time, it's best to have worked through the quicker questions.

I always put an answer in any question, because if I run out of time, I could still get it right, but I flag a lot of questions. I haven't run out of time, yet.
thd7t

Postby Sarcasmo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:23 am

ArchFaction -- note that you could start with the Case studies if you wanted to....it's all one block of time that you are free to manage. I've taken all 6 and basically used thd7t's approach -- which is to knock out all other questions first, then do the Case Studies. You'll need about an hour or so to do the Case Studies -- 30 minutes each roughly. Some candidates like to have 90 minutes for the Case Studies -- 45 minutes each. Everyone is different. Some need a little more time, some a little less. Calculate your time based on the number on regular questions -- so many minutes per question -- and save out 60 to 90 minutes for the Case Studies.

Also... keep in mind that the Case Studies are not that big of a deal -- do the demo exam that NCARB provides and you'll see what I mean. The Case Study questions are testing on the same info as the rest of the exam. The only difference is that the Case Study questions are relative to a little story that you read first about an imaginary building.
Sarcasmo

Postby ArchFaction » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:20 pm

Perfect, thank you for the information, this helps a lot.
ArchFaction

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design