PPD or PDD?

PPD or PDD?

Postby jodeslee » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:22 am

I finally passed the 3 exams for 4.0 to allow me to transition. Countless fails, but I did it. I have quadruple checked.

Anyway, what does ARE Coach recommend to take first PPD or PDD? It looks like a lot of overlap. Would you guys recommend studying them simultaneously and take them back to back but still PPD then PDD?

Thank you in advance
jodeslee

Re: PPD or PDD?

Postby Coach » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:03 pm

When all else fails, take them in order.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Digitx » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:49 pm

I am in the same boat...just transitioned. From what I have seen around this forum and others, generally the order has been PPD then PDD. My understanding is that PPD focuses more on concepts and PDD focuses more on details and specifics (i.e. more calculations). Think of PPD dealing with issues that one deals with at 1/8" to 1/4" scale and PDD deals with issues at 1/2" to 3/4" scale is how I have seen it described.

In gathering study material for PPD, it looks like a beast! Hopefully a tamable beast. Good luck!
Digitx

Postby BnyBen » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:16 am

I think it's safest to take them in order as Coach said. A friend of mine took PDD first and regretted it. He passed but said studying and taking PPD first would have prepared him more.
BnyBen

Postby Sarcasmo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:52 pm

jodeslee:

Congratulations on the 4.0 passes!

As for exam order -- per NCARB, there is no recommended or intended order, and NCARB has stated this in more than one publication.

I took all 6 in 5.0 -- to me the order makes little difference, and for every candidate that took the exams in one given order, there is a candidate who has taken the exams in the opposite order. It's completely up to the individual.

For someone like yourself with just the two PPD/PDD exams left -- your inclination to study for both of them at once is totally on point. This could take a while, but for most candidates, 2 to 3 months is ample study time -- I'd shoot for two months. From there, I'd recommend a week's time between exams minimum, and 2-3 weeks maximum time between.

Good Luck!
Sarcasmo

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design