"Provisional Pass" My exam experience

"Provisional Pass" My exam experience

Postby bwatts259 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:02 pm

Hi All,

Just walked out of the testing center with a "provisional pass"...waiting for the official fail. That would suck.

All joking aside that exam was a beast. I purchased the Amber Book about 6 weeks ago and followed his method of studying as pretty much my only resource. I will say passing the big three (PPP, CDS and SPD) helped out a lot on this one. There was way more site design, grading, and cost estimating that I expected which was about none. So I really had to dig deep in the memory bank and hope I pulled out the right answer.

My testing strategy was to leave the case studies until the end, thinking they would suck up all of my brain power...they did. Before the test I would definitely review the chapters 3 and 5 of the IBC. Be comfortable with navigating through those chapters and knowing where things are.

I felt like a lot of the case stufy information was either missing or left up for interpretation. I kept wondering if I should keep digging for an answer somewhere in the resources or this was a question where you are supposed to just rely on your instincts. That was the biggest use of my time.

Multiple choice
I was shocked with how much structures there was on mine. I was anticipating 4-5 structural questions but I was hit with many more. I wouldn't focus too much on calculations but rather knowing overall principles. This is something the amber book does not touch on too much so I would look to other resources on that. I have heard Thaddues is pretty good which I will review for PDD.

I will update on the official pass/fail but I wanted to get my thoughts out there ASAP. I will answer any questions I can without overstepping the NCARB rules. Womp womp.
bwatts259

Re: "Provisional Pass" My exam experience

Postby thd7t » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Are you planning on taking PDD in rapid succession? My understanding is that this is what Ermann (sp?) recommends, but I don't know if it's what people do.
thd7t

Postby bwatts259 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:11 pm

I think so. Not tomorrow or anything but maybe 2-3 weeks. I have barely looked into PDD. Do you know the big differences?
bwatts259

Postby thd7t » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:37 pm

I don't know any, but a lot of people have talked about the Amber series, with little feedback on results. I figured I'd take advantage of your experience!
thd7t

Postby bwatts259 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:07 pm

Yea I was pretty bummed that not much of the info came up. Either way it is a great resource and I learned a ton of stuff I will use in practice so it's certainly not a total waste but I swear NCARB looks at resources people have made and goes "ok, wont ask any of that".
bwatts259

Postby toshea13 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:24 pm

bwatts259, did your provisional pass turn into an actual pass?
toshea13

Postby bwatts259 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:56 pm

It did! So pumped on that. Found out the next morning. On the PDD which sounds like another monster throwing people for a loop. Joy...
bwatts259

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design