Structural Formulas

Structural Formulas

Postby Hello » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:32 am

Other than the formulas given on the exam (that NCARB lists in their study guide), are there other formulas that candidates should know by heart?

NCARB lists the beam formulas from AISC and a couple on flexural stress and shear. Are there other formulas that are helpful for PPD and PDD?
Hello

Re: Structural Formulas

Postby B-Money » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:20 am

I personally felt memorizing any formulas were a waste of time. After taking PPD and PDD, I remember having a total of maybe 8 structure questions total. Nothing that you couldn't figure out with what was given.

My strategy was to always skip the formula/equation-related questions and spend that time answering other questions. Your time is more valued at answering questions you may be sure of rather than wasting time on an equation. That's why I saved those questions for the end after I marked them and went through all the other ones.

That's my personal preference though. Maybe someone else had more structure questions, but I don't think it's a big part of the exam. I skipped over structures in my studying completely other than BASIC moment/load calcs.
B-Money

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design