Buildings near a lake/pond

Buildings near a lake/pond

Postby shortkm1 » Wed May 10, 2017 3:40 pm

In a hot arid climate, where should a building be placed near a lake? Would it be to the north to take advantage of wind across the lake? What about in a cold climate? Still to the north so the wind doesn't come off the lake?
shortkm1

Re: Buildings near a lake/pond

Postby ablumetti » Fri May 12, 2017 7:58 am

I BELIEVE the answer lies more in the properties of the body of water than the winds. Large bodies of water tend to give off cooling breezes because the warmer air from the "hot arid" climate rises above the cooling air which explains sea breezes, but the opposite tends to happen at night. In hot arid climates this is good where the temps are very high during the day and very low at night. The body of water and the different air temps coming from it, would moderate the microclimate. With that being said, if you know the prevailing winds always blow across the lake from the south, north would be very pleasurable for a hot arid climate but slightly miserable in a cold climate unless you have evergreens blocking the winds off the lake.
ablumetti

Postby vrcat25 » Fri May 12, 2017 10:34 am

It depends on the location, climate condition and prevailing winds.You're assuming that the winds are coming from south and that's not always the wind pattern for prevailing winds. As ablumetti stated, it also depends on how large the body of water is. Generally speaking, a large body of water will create a "sea breeze" effect and help regulate the temperature, cooling during the day and warming at night. If it's just a small lake or pond as you're indicating, it would depend where it's located. Have you taken the SPD vignette yet? It usually will say in the "program" which direction the wind is coming and you can make your design decision based on the specific climate or micro climates of the program example.
vrcat25

Postby shortkm1 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:44 pm

I have taken SPD. This is specifically for the PPD exam. I do not have the information on the winds or the scale of the body of water. I agree that those would be necessary to solve the problem, but they are not available. I am wondering if there is a good rule of thumb for locations near lakes. Maybe it has more to do with the sun reflections...hard to say.

Thanks for the help. I will see what else I can find.
shortkm1

Postby cloudyy » Fri May 12, 2017 5:34 pm

I ~think~ there was some more important information in the question than you described in your original post. At least...I had a question on my first go that reminded me of yours but there were additional items of information that came into play (i.e. a diagram of the site for reference). Perhaps not in your case.
cloudyy

Postby shortkm1 » Fri May 12, 2017 5:44 pm

Not that I remember but I'm hoping you are right. I will find out on Monday. Wish me luck!
shortkm1

Postby vrcat25 » Mon May 29, 2017 5:21 pm

You don't say? A question with missing information??? hmmm, sounds VERY familiar..
Last edited by vrcat25 on Tue May 30, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vrcat25

Postby kellawley » Tue May 30, 2017 6:21 pm

HUM this sounds familiar as well. I am not sure how to assume the wind direction on a site. :idea:
kellawley

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design