Preparing for PPD in 3 weeks. What study material is best?

Preparing for PPD in 3 weeks. What study material is best?

Postby vrcat25 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:27 pm

Well, I went ahead and made the decision to transition and scheduled PPD 3 weeks from now. I'll probably PPD 4-6 weeks from now. The handbook seems pretty limited and i've already went over all of the questions for PPD. Besides the NCARB handbook, what should i focus on? I realize 3 weeks isn't long to prepare, so i want to make sure i focus on the right study material. Most of the questions seem to be common sense and i've worked at a small firm for over 5 years now so i have a pretty good understanding of many of the content areas. I will probably just read the Ballast chapters and study the ARE sample problems for SS, BS and BDCS. Does this sound like it will be enough or is there something else important i should study?
vrcat25

Re: Preparing for PPD in 3 weeks. What study material is bes

Postby Sarcasmo » Fri May 05, 2017 8:08 pm

There is a big list of study materials listed in the 5.0 matrix in the handbook.
Sarcasmo

Postby vrcat25 » Sat May 06, 2017 2:05 pm

Sarcasmo wrote:There is a big list of study materials listed in the 5.0 matrix in the handbook.

I understand that NCARB gives their references in the handbook, but do you have any personal experience and know which is the best source. I've found that it's better to stick with 1 or 2 sources than to try and read a whole encyclopedia of reference materials. Have you passed this test yet Sarcasmo?
Last edited by vrcat25 on Fri May 12, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vrcat25

Postby Zanno » Sun May 07, 2017 3:11 pm

Building Construction Illustrated and Architect's Studio Companion are both good resources because they have lots of great visuals and therefore make a good complement to Ballast.
Your office might even have these books already?
Zanno

Postby cloudyy » Sun May 07, 2017 5:10 pm

I second Building Construction Illustrated and would add Building Codes Illustrated too. Architect's Studio Companion seems to be Canada-directed though it does discuss IBC in-depth too--maybe this is just the version I got...?
cloudyy

Postby vrcat25 » Sun May 07, 2017 5:24 pm

Thanks! I'll check out both of those!
vrcat25

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design