Failed PPD - help/advice please!

Failed PPD - help/advice please!

Postby Renaissanceman » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:58 pm

Today I recieved my score report and its a Fail :-( I did not have a good feeling about this test when I left the test center. My score report says I received a level 2 in building systems, materials & assemblies and project costs & budgeting. I received a level 3 in environmental conditions, codes and regulations and Project intergration of Programs and systems.
I am upset with myself, because I could not conquer my fears and keep my cool in the exam. I studied for two full months and felt that I had the knowledge to be able to pass this test. I failed miserably with my time management, because my mind was my biggest enemy. There were many time during the exam, when I froze seeing the ticking clock and had to spend sometime shaking the fear off and calm my self to be able to concentrate on what exactly the convoluted questions were asking me.
I believe I am a good learner and I retain the infirmation well too,but I am a horrible test taker. These test are not only testing your knowledge but your ability to stay calm, focus and problem solve. I will be going back to the board to prepare more for PDD and also prepare better for PPD re-take.
I studied all BS,BDCS, SS chapters from Ballast 4.0 along with my PPP,CDS and SPD notes (passed all of them).
I also read importsnt BS and site planning and sustainability chapters from MEEB. I went through Building code and Building construction illustrated.
Looking for help/suggestion/advice on what I can do to improve on my performance and pass PPD.

(Feeling bad that I will have to spend a little more time away from my son, before I can get through these last two tests done.)

Thanks.
Renaissanceman

Re: Failed PPD - help/advice please!

Postby tmston2 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:56 am

dont feel bad, you are not alone, I have 9yrs work experience, M.arch, carried 3.4 gpa in college, made deans list one semester 4.0, and have never failed an exam in my life till a.r.e.
I have been at it for the past 3yrs almost and have failed over 7 times!!! I even failed this one. I think my biggest reason for failing this one thos is I put more emphasis on bs, ss, bdcs,
and did not anticipate ppp, spd, on this exam, therefore i struggled with answering how ncarb wants you to answer. but long story short:
the key is studying and answering how ncarb
• answer how ncarb wants you to answer
• cover a broad range of material
• understand concepts well enough to no when one several are def wrong
• dont get hung up on details and formulas
• study with a group
• look over your notes atleast once a day everyday for atleast an hour
• dont try and learn everything
• take as many practice exams as possible, note what you got wrong and follow up
• Sometimes thats just the way the cookie crumbles
Godspeed
tmston2

Postby cejot31 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:10 am

If it's an issue with testing anxiety and you don't feel like all the info you've retained is coming out, try out a couple things...

When you get to the testing center, spend 10 mins in your car or sitting in a quiet area and do some breathing exercises. It's nice to go in with a calm mind.

This sounds weird (my wife swears on it) but go to the restroom in the testing center, stand in front of the mirror, and do "Power Poses." Puff out your chest, raise your arms, growl like a bear, etc. There are scientific studies that show that exuding confidence (even if only to yourself) helps with mental clarity and pressure situations. Get weird with it.

As for the test itself, especially with the 5.0 exams, TRUST YOUR GUT! Go through the questions, answering with your initial impression or first instincts. I failed two 4.0 exams, and each time, I went back over my marked answers and changed a bunch of my initial responses because I was overthinking. The remainder of my exams that I passed I did a quick check back of my marked answers and hardly changed a thing.

It seems like you're studying the right material, but you're letting the test get the better of you. Relax, be confident, and you'll do just fine.

All the best on your next one!
cejot31

Postby Renaissanceman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:20 pm

@ tmston2 : Thank you for all the helpful pointers! I do not have a study group, in the area where I live. For now, the ARE Coach forum is my study group. I am brushing up on all my study notes and will try to get my hands on more practice exams as possible. I only have the Ballast 5.0 practice questions. I am also planning to take the ARE 4.0 practice exams (BS, BDCS and SS).
Do you recommend any other practice exams?
My focus will be on time management strategies. Trying to read and digest the question faster and make a quick selection and move on to next questions. I have also decided to skip calculation question and try to answer all other types and come back to the questions with calculations in my second round after the case studies are completed.

All the best to you with your exams!

@ cejot31: Thanks for the pointer for managing my anxiety. The "Power Poses" sounds interesting! I will try any and all valid tricks if it helps me pass these exams :-)

I took a break for a week to spend time with my baby. I am back to studying and have scheduled both PDD & PPD for May.
Renaissanceman

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design