Failed and Confused

Failed and Confused

Postby nickp1085 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:56 am

I've passed 4.0 PPP, CDS, SPD. I studied for almost three months in order to take 5.0 PPD and PDD within 2 weeks of each other. (I take PDD this upcoming Thursday). I felt strong going into the PPD test. Even taking the test I felt I did well. Not any worse than any 4.0 exams. However, my FAILED score does not reflect this. Especially, in the Environmental Conditions & Context which I'm completely perplexed over. This is one of my strongest areas from 4.0 which I took recently. Even re-reviewing questions that I could remember, I feel like I got them all right. So to get a 'level 4', I'm second guessing everything. If anyone could shed light on how to orient buildings in direct relation to bodies of water in various climate zones, I would be forever grateful. This is one area that I just can't seem to find clarification on. South elevation facing water for cooling from water or South facing away from water because of direct sun?

Here is my score for PPD
Content Area 1:Environmental Conditions & Context
10-16% ----●------------○--------------○-------------○----
Content Area 2: Codes & Regulations
16-22% ----○------------○--------------●-------------○----
Content Area 3: Building Systems, Materials, & Assemblies
19-25% ----○------------●--------------○-------------○----
Content Area 4: Project Integration of Program & Systems
32-38% ----○------------○--------------●-------------○----
Content Area 5: Project Costs & Budgeting
8-14% ----○------------●--------------○-------------○----
nickp1085

Re: Failed and Confused

Postby vrcat25 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:02 am

It sounds like the test questions for 5.0 are just as subjective and ambiguous as 4.0. From your experience, do you think that there's more WTF type questions on 5.0 than 4.0 or less? Also, was this the first test you failed or did you have any retakes for PPP, CDS and SPD? I'm sticking with 4.0 for now, but i depending on feedback from people, i may transition to 5.0 after i pass PPP. I've only passed CDS and SPD so it wouldn't make sense for me to transition just yet. Good luck with you PDD and better luck next time with PPD.
vrcat25

Re: Failed and Confused

Postby nickp1085 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:41 pm

I previously failed PPP once but passed the second time and passed CDS and SPD on the 1st try.

I would say 5.0 eliminates the WTF questions but substitutes them with more thoughtful questions that are more time consuming. However, there are still some tricky questions where 2 of the choices are a toss up to be the correct answer. But I found time to be the hardest thing to manage with 5.0. Quite a few questions will suck a good portion of time away just because of the new type of question set up. I still believe in the transition to 5.0 once someone passes all PPP, SPD, & CDS.
nickp1085

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design