Passed, and why I like this version 5

Passed, and why I like this version 5

Postby lingo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:16 pm

For the record, having taken one v5 exam now, I have to say that this is the first test format -- version 5 -- that comes the closest to faithfully measuring ACTUAL professional knowledge.
I have been taking these tests for decades -- yes really, and covering every format including pencil-on-paper/multiple-choice -- and this one is a relief. I say that because it is based on a lot of real knowledge and experience and not dumb cad-software speed techniques -- which I often failed.
I hate to acknowledge it, because I have suffered greatly from this 25 year process, but NCARB may have finally nailed it.
Plus, I received my score the next day! Not one week later, not six weeks later in the mail like the old days.
I took PPD and passed. Just one more test to go -- PDD.
Excuse my happiness. I'll get bitter again soon enough.
lingo

Re: Passed, and why I like this version 5

Postby gemling » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:40 pm

Congrats! I'm taking this on Monday so its good to hear a positive review. I have only taken the 5.0 tests so I can't compare but I found PjM, PcM, and CE to be enjoyable. PDD and PA on the other hand may have aligned with actual practice but the case studies and the end were awful. I ended with them for both tests so I left them both annoyed. I was racing the clock, especially on PA. It was like an architectural seek and find with clunky tools to navigate the documents with. If the case studies are better than the 4.0 vignettes than thank goodness for 5.0!

I will be cramming for this over the weekend but I'm starting to get really tired of studying after a month and a half of sprinting to get all the incentives. Another reason I am losing steam for studying is the amount of content this test covers. It is pretty daunting and since I'm doing this fast-tracked I always struggle with what subject matter to tackle that day. i have a lot of experience so hopefully that will carry me. May I ask what how you approached studying for this?
gemling

Postby jonimperial » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:30 am

Congratulations! and I agree! I like this format better than 4.0.

I'm taking PPD in April, what materials did you study?
jonimperial

Postby doyce_16 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:36 pm

Congratulations! I am debating if I should switch to ARE 5.0 now or wrap up the trifecta CDD, PPP, SPD. Just like you , I'm an old timer who never found the time to finish these exams. It sounds to me like version 5.0 is friendlier to experienced folks. I was having difficulty with the vignette software as well. Any thoughts? Thanks for sharing your experience.
doyce_16

Postby lingo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:37 pm

For those that asked what I studied?:

I don't have a magic book for you but I'll tell you all the items I studied from.
I started by reading every page of the PPD chapter of the version 5 Ballast book, and though it's not great it's comprehensive.
Then I skimmed every page of Mech and Elect Equipment for Bldgs by Grondzik -- terribly written but also comprehensive.
I figured I didn't know enough about Costs, Budgeting, Life Cycle Analysis, Depreciation -- so I Googled those things online and learned a bit more about them. The Ballast sections on these is useful and should be learned.
Read briefly elsewhere about Seismic, Acoustics, Soils, Structures.
I found the online lectures less relevant for this section and for version 5.
I know a lot about sustainable design already, but you should know the basics. There were quite a few questions about sustainable design.
Practice the NCARB Demo test, using the attached Reference information for questions and Case Studies.
There was close to zero questions about structures on the exam. Know the basics, don't sweat the details.

Feel free to ask me anything else.
lingo

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design