Just Tested PPD

Just Tested PPD

Postby VanillaBuns » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:34 am

Hey y'all, just tested PPD yesterday, my first shot at a 5.0 exam. My thoughts:

EXAM FORMAT
1. The new system is MUCH better. I'm referring mainly to case studies versus vignettes. Using reference materials such as code and zoning documents is something I do almost every day in practice so I found it fairly fluid.
2. There was almost zero lag time on my exam. My prometric was fairly new, so maybe it just had better internet than some locations, but even the case study pdfs loaded super quickly (<1 second per page). The only lag time would occur if I clicked "previous", and that was only about a 1 second wait.
3. Question types are harder. Meaning, they require more mental effort. There is no more memorization, you need to be able to apply the concepts. Ie, they likely aren't going to ask you which type of light fixture is better for an application. They may just give you a cut sheet and have you apply information on the cut sheet to solve a prompt.
4. Use the NCARB demo exam. This is the closest approximation to the real thing (as it is the same exact program you will use on test day). It will also prepare you for just how LONG the Case Studies will take you. Become comfortable flipping through documents, understand the relation between IBC and zoning restrictions, and how to cross reference (remember, even though IBC allows certain building heights, the zoning code may be even MORE restrictive).
5. YOU CAN ROTATE ITEMS ON THE MINI-VIGNETTES. You can right-click and rotate items 90 degrees to get them to fit. This is not mentioned on the instructions, and there are no question types like this on the practice exams. I didn't learn this until 5 minutes left on my exam, and I'm sure it hurt my score.

PPD CONTENT
1. Don't know how else to say this other than, THIS TEST IS NOT BUILDING SYSTEMS. Don't make that mistake of only studying BS/BCDS. While there is certainly some BS/BCDS on there, I found there was nearly as many questions on SPD/PPP side of things.
2. A large emphasis on code in this exam. Know very distinctly the difference between all construction types and how that affects building heights and area. I cannot stress this enough. The documentation is all based on 2012 IBC, so open it right now, read the chapters on construction types and building heights, and learn it backward and forward. This will save you time on the exam asking, "Is this type IIA or IIIA? What's the difference between IIB and IIIB again?"
3. Learn your basic statics/structures. Know what a free body diagram is, what the symbols represent, and how to calculate moment and shear. Nothing crazy, but you do need to know the basics.
4. Know everything about solar orientation, all the different charts, angles of declination, how altitude changes with seasons, etc.
5. Understand different climate zones and appropriate planning strategies for building types and locations. Tying in with the solar orientation, understand how to orient buildings in relation to bodies of water in various climate zones.
6. Understand your waterproofing/dampproofing, and exterior wall assemblies. Understand the points where thermal bridging is likely, where the infiltration is most likely, and where the insulation and vapor/air barriers are placed.
7. Learn how to read a lighting cut sheet. Understand the zonal cavity method, different types of ballast systems, and how to determine spacing and layout

STRATEGY
1. I did multiple choice first, case studies last. In my opinion, this was the best way to do it. You warm up with the questions, then attack the in depth case studies with gusto, cutting yourself off when you start to take too long on a particular question (ie, more than 5 minutes).
2. It took me about 1hr45 to complete all the multiple choice, marking about a third of them, then I spent about 1hr15 minutes on my first pass of the case studies.
3. I took a break after answering every question on the exam. I had about 1hr15 left, so I took a breather, ate some peanut butter and jumped back in. I always feel like the 15 minutes goes too quickly, but having to sign in and out and fingerprint is several minutes on its own.
4. On my second pass, I only had time to go through the marked questions (about 30) and another in depth pass at every case study question. After that I had about 5 minutes left to go through the unmarked questions, but only got through a few. Don't fret - you just won't have time to go through every question twice. As I mentioned before, the question types are harder, so you will spend more time answering anyways. Just be aware you may not come back to it.

That's about it! Hopefully that is helpful for you guys.

I feel about 50/50 that I passed, so we will find out once we get some cut score updates.
VanillaBuns

Re: Just Tested PPD

Postby dklorensen » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:13 pm

I just tested today and feel you've hit the nail on the head! Questions ranged from very easy to ones that take a few minutes to answer, so yes, the ones that were taking too long got marked for review and then I went back to them. I only did this with one or two. All others I tried to answer the first pass.

I didn't take my break. I answered all the questions in numeric order, so the case studies were last. I agree the case studies are better than the vignettes, and my questions seemed more straight forward for this test than PDD (which I took 2/23). I finished answering all questions with about 45 minutes left. I had time to go back and review my marked questions, and exited my exam with like 23 mins left. If I had taken a break, I would have been right down to the last few minutes.
dklorensen

Postby ekelsey15 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:27 pm

The break doesn't count against your time does it? I doesn't in 4.0 and i thought all they really changed was the fact that you can take it whenever you want and not use the whole time.

Also what did you study?
ekelsey15

Postby vrcat25 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:28 pm

ekelsey15 wrote:The break doesn't count against your time does it? I doesn't in 4.0 and i thought all they really changed was the fact that you can take it whenever you want and not use the whole time.

Also what did you study?
That's what I though...for 4.0, the break is mandatory. For 5.0, it's an "anytime" break and the clock pauses while you're taking it. I may be wrong though since I haven't researched in great detail since I haven't transitioned to5.0...
vrcat25

Postby dklorensen » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:57 pm

The actual test time is actually 4 hours and 15 minutes for both PDD and PPD. (I just double checked the 5.0 Handbook) If you don't take a break, you get that extra 15 minutes. So yes, I guess it does count against you. :(

So my studying was a bit unconventional: On January 23, I decided to test in PPD by the end of January to get the early tester incentive, so I scheduled it for 1/30. That week was spent cramming! I purchased Architect Exam Prep and read through it all that week. It's not the greatest guide, but I thought it was ok for me for the week I spent with it. Skip to 1/30 test day - there was a server crash that day, so I didn't finish my exam. I was on question 92/120. However, I did feel that I may have passed it if I had finished. I wanted to get it rescheduled as soon as Prometric could get me in, which was for today.

I also wanted the early tester incentive for PDD, so before I sat for PPD, I scheduled PDD for 2/23, the latest date in February available at my test center. Since my PDD exam was just a few weeks after my first attempt at PPD, I jumped right into PDD study materials. Kind of knowing what to expect for my PPD retake, I figured that the PDD materials wouldn't hinder me in any way, so I essentially studied for both exams at the same time over the course of 4.5 weeks. Now I don't have scores back from either test to let me know how I did, but I feel decent about my attempt for PPD; I'm not as confident in my PDD attempt. Probably 4.5 weeks (roughly 16-18 hours a week) is not enough. However, I do feel the tests can be studied for concurrently and taken close together, maybe even one day after the other (mine were 4 days apart, I only skimmed a few things in between). I have been working in a small firm with a lot of hands on experience for almost 7 years, so that is what helped me the most. Okay, that explanation was really long, I apologize haha.

Study Materials:
Architect Exam Prep for PPD (again, not the greatest guide, but gives a general idea of what is covered) AEP for PDD is not even close to what the exam covers. I bought it, but requested a refund because it's so far off.
Some of Ballast 4.0 chapters
Jenny's notes for BDCS (pretty helpful)
Heating, Cooling and Lighting by Lechner (I only read this a little bit, yawn MEP stuff)
Building Construction Illustrated (the most helpful!)
Skimmed Jenny's 4.0 notes for PPP and CDS (I've taken these two tests in November and December, so they're relatively fresh in my mind)
Random other videos, things online, etc.

That's about it! Because I only studied a short time, I didn't get through a whole lot of stuff, however if I fail, I'm not exactly sure what more I'll study. :? That doesn't make a lot of sense haha. I guess I feel that PDD had a lot more WTF questions than PPD did. PPD was more straight forward.

Happy studying! Hope my ramblings make sense and actually help someone...
dklorensen

Postby architect23 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:02 am

Thanks! Did you find heating cooling and lighting helpful? I have the book and wonder whether I should take my
Time to read it.
architect23

Postby ptzumd » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:14 pm

The 15 minute break does not count against your time for answering questions. You do not get an extra 15 minutes to answer questions if you do not take your break. When you click the button to take your break, the exam clock stops. It starts again when you return to the exam or after 15 minutes have elapsed, whichever is first. The 4 hour and 15 minute test duration includes 4 hours for answering questions and 15 minutes for a break. Everyone has the same amount of time to answer questions, whether or not you take a break.
ptzumd

Postby ekelsey15 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:20 pm

The 15 minute break does not count against your time for answering questions. You do not get an extra 15 minutes to answer questions if you do not take your break. When you click the button to take your break, the exam clock stops. It starts again when you return to the exam or after 15 minutes have elapsed, whichever is first. The 4 hour and 15 minute test duration includes 4 hours for answering questions and 15 minutes for a break. Everyone has the same amount of time to answer questions, whether or not you take a break.

That sounds more like it. I wouldn't think they would allow anyone an extra 15 min unless it was some ridiculous oversight on their end.
ekelsey15

Postby vrcat25 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:59 pm

ptzumd wrote:The 15 minute break does not count against your time for answering questions. You do not get an extra 15 minutes to answer questions if you do not take your break. When you click the button to take your break, the exam clock stops. It starts again when you return to the exam or after 15 minutes have elapsed, whichever is first. The 4 hour and 15 minute test duration includes 4 hours for answering questions and 15 minutes for a break. Everyone has the same amount of time to answer questions, whether or not you take a break.

Exactly...i feel bad for the fella for going at it for over 4 hours without a snickers bar or bathroom break even, lol. :lol: I know i always cherish my break and hit up the vending machine for at least a pack of crackers...For my SPD test, i had drank too much coffee and had to take an extra break in the middle of the vignette. Fortunately, i passed. If i ever transition, ill look forward to the "anytime 15 minute break". :)
vrcat25

Postby ekelsey15 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:35 am

For those suggesting Building Construction Illustrated..

What chapters are you reading? The whole book or specific chapters?
ekelsey15

Postby ptzumd » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:51 am

The whole book is relevant.
ptzumd

Postby dklorensen » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:41 pm

Yes, read as much of the book as you can.

ptzumd - Did your clock start counting down from 4 hours exactly?
dklorensen

Postby ptzumd » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:06 am

dklorensen wrote:ptzumd - Did your clock start counting down from 4 hours exactly?

I am 95% sure that it did. If anyone is uncertain, I would recommend posting the question on the NCARB ARE 5.0 Community for an NCARB representative to give you an official answer.
ptzumd

Re: Just Tested PPD (UPDATE - PASSED!)

Postby VanillaBuns » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:00 am

Hi guys! Just a quick update - I PASSED!!

Got my results yesterday (my state holds scores for 24-48 hrs). What a stressful wait that was, refreshing my NCARB profile all day. The email telling me the report was available didn't arrive until about 18 hrs after the score posted on myNCARB.

Anyhow, thought I would fill you in on what I studied. It was probably too much, I especially think I should have spent less time with BDCS and more time with SPD/PPP, but here is my comprehensive study list:

Ballast 5.0 Guide
• all of PPD
• PDD ch. 31-37, 44, 45
Jenny’s Notes (read full)
• BS
• BCDS
• SS
• PPP (skimmed)
Alkikat BS Notes
Ballast 4.0 Flash Cards
• BS
• BDCS
• SS
• SPD
Black Spectacles
• Most of PPD except early stuff
• All of structures, systems, code
Youtube
• PDD video playlists
• Structures Basics, moments, trusses, free body diagrams
• All Black Spectacles practice exams (BS/BDCS/PPP)
Study Exams
• Ballast 5.0 PPD (exams and quizzes)
• Ballast 4.0 (exams and Q&A)
o BS
o BDCS
o PPP
• Amber Book Building Systems
• NCARB Demo Exam

That's about it. In terms of time, I spent about 9 weeks on this one, with 4 weeks of really intense studying (2 hrs a day weekdays, 12-16 hrs on weekends). Again, probably overkill, but the test was so broad.

ptzumd wrote:
dklorensen wrote:ptzumd - Did your clock start counting down from 4 hours exactly?

I am 95% sure that it did. If anyone is uncertain, I would recommend posting the question on the NCARB ARE 5.0 Community for an NCARB representative to give you an official answer.

As soon as you click begin, the clock starts flashes from 4:00 to 3:59. And ptzumd is correct, you can take the 15 minute break any time (I did it after all 120 questions). Hitting the break button pauses the countdown for 15 minutes or whenever you hit "continue," whichever is first. I always use the full break...just to let me brain relax a little.

Also - everyone should take the demo exam on the NCARB site, to get familiar with the case studies but also to test out the "break" button and "resources" button. They also have a timer at the top and a break button to simulate the stress you'll feel on test day. It's the same program you will use at Prometric.

Hope this is helpful. One to the next one!
VanillaBuns

Postby artistg90 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:46 am

I would have to agree with your list. It is spot on!!! I have a question for the group does anyone know of a good reference for "understand different climate zones and appropriate planning strategies for building types and locations. Tying in with the solar orientation, understand how to orient buildings in relation to bodies of water in various climate zones."? I looked through sun, wind and light and sustainable site design books, but found nothing. Thanks!!
artistg90

Postby randar82 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:29 am

@VanillaBuns: Thanks! I'm retaking on the 20th (I was part of the 1/30 NCARB Server Failure) and had initially studied with AEP, which I later found out on PDD was a complete waste of time, so this list will be a great checklist over the next couple of weeks.
randar82

Postby nickp1085 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:07 am

I too am interested in any references to "understand different climate zones and appropriate planning strategies for building types and locations. Tying in with the solar orientation, understand how to orient buildings in relation to bodies of water in various climate zones."
nickp1085

Postby Renaissanceman » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:23 pm

The Ballast 4.0 Review manual has good comprehensive explanation about solar orientation, climate zones and energy efficient design. See SPD chapetrs - chapters 2, 3. Also chapters 29 and 30 have detailed information on this.
Renaissanceman

Postby Zanno » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:01 am

Check out "Design with Climate" by Victor Olgyay. I used this for SPD and found it very helpful in understanding climate-appropriate strategies -- and there are case studies and visuals! My library had this book, it's an oldie but a goodie.
Zanno

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design