Transfer to 5.0 or Not.

Transfer to 5.0 or Not.

Postby Archit3ct-2015 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:55 am

Hello everyone,

I have now passed CDS, PPP & SPD - What did you think of the 5.0 testing compared to the 4.0?

Any regrets on rolling over from 4.0 to 5.0?

Thank you,
Archit3ct-2015

Re: Transfer to 5.0 or Not.

Postby cloudyy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:26 pm

Not knowing how I did on the exam, I was on the fence about if I was happy about switching to 5.0. Since they announced yesterday that early testers not only get a gift card but also a free re-test within a year, I don't regret it at all. I passed SPD on the first time, but PPP and CDS on the second, so per my track record the free second-chance seems worth it for me. Of course I didn't know about this offer at the time I switched but I guess it just worked out.
cloudyy

Postby macgyver » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:29 pm

I'm in the same boat, passed CDS, PPP, SPD. Trying to decide to transition or not. Leaning towards staying with 4.0 since I have gotten used to how to study for the 4.0 exams, and even though I have failed a few times, I like the vignette's, think they have helped me pass each exam as I'm weaker on the MP. Still hard to decide with the 4.0 end game fast approaching.
Has anyone received test results for 5.0?

Any other thoughts will help me as well.
Thanks.
macgyver

Postby tmston2 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:17 am

IMHO transfer, the pros out weigh the cons. BS is a tough exam so is structures. in my mind once you combine all three exams (bdcs, bs, & structures) its a better thorough exam for an architect.
In my mind you have to know the material itha way so whats the difference, but vignettes are more of a hindrance and not really a skill besides following instructions
tmston2

Postby dnlcorte » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:42 am

macgyver wrote:I'm in the same boat, passed CDS, PPP, SPD. Trying to decide to transition or not. Leaning towards staying with 4.0 since I have gotten used to how to study for the 4.0 exams, and even though I have failed a few times, I like the vignette's, think they have helped me pass each exam as I'm weaker on the MP. Still hard to decide with the 4.0 end game fast approaching.
Has anyone received test results for 5.0?

Any other thoughts will help me as well.
Thanks.

No one has received results yet - the cut scores for PPD are being established now which means scores in mid-February for anyone taken before that. PDD cut scores will be 'ready' by late March/early April.

4.0 Vignettes don't help/hurt you passing when combined with MC. The exam is split into two sections - Multiple Choice and then Vignette. You fail either side, you fail it as a whole.

I personally am glad I switched over. Only two more exams vs 4, and after taking PPD, I feel they are a bit more focused on our actual profession, not just random questions spouted from a book you will never need to know again. Sure there are SOME of those questions, but overall I was more comfortable with the questions asked.
dnlcorte

Postby Barry » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:45 pm

Archit3ct-2015 wrote:Hello everyone,

I have now passed CDS, PPP & SPD - What did you think of the 5.0 testing compared to the 4.0?

Any regrets on rolling over from 4.0 to 5.0?

Thank you,

I can't say I have regrets because, on principle, I'm glad I don't have to submit myself to the vignettes. However, managing the vignettes is probably better than managing 5.0's horrible interface. But I also should way the content of SPD and SDD. I passed BS and failed SS. I don't know if SPD and SDD are easier than those 2, but I can say there are a lot fewer technical questions. My advise; if you can, wait until the interface is fixed and switch to 5.0.
Barry

Postby vrcat25 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:57 pm

So, it sounds like the general consensus is "NO RAGRETS". :lol:

I've weighed out all of my options and I'm going to stick with 4.0. I'm very comfortable with the vignette's and I'd rather split the divisions up instead of cramming it all into 2 tests. Not to mention, all of the vignette's seem to be pretty easy with the exception of PPP. For some reason, there seems to be a high level of failure for the PPP vignette. I may change my mind later, but I'm going to try my luck with SS, BS. If worse comes to worse, I'll transition, but since there's no turning back, I feel more comfortable sticking with 4.0.
vrcat25

Return to PPD - Project Planning & Design